SQL 7.0 Post SP3 Security Patch Install Problems

• As noted on the Security board:

There is a buffer overflow attack using remote data source queries. This affects both SQL Server 7 and 2000. A patch has been made available. Here is the security bulletin:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-007.asp

HELP! I've tried installing the patch, only to find that SQL Server won't start back up. I've had to roll back to the pre-patch files. This also happened with the last buffer overrun patch files. Has this happened to anyone else? Any workarounds?

• Haven't installed, and won't now. check with MS.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Haven't had a chance to test, but are you getting an error message? Could be something we've seen before. If not then MS is your best bet.

• Upon starting SQL Server, a dialog box pops upw with:

Title: "sqlservr.exe Entry Point Not Found"

Text: "The procedure entry point

?UmsAllocScheduler@YAPAVUmsScheduler@@KKMHHP6AXPAXH@ZP6AXPAG@Z@Z

could not be located in the dynamic link library ums.dll"

I have a case with Microsoft. They have seen something like this with SQL Server 2000, but not with 7.0

• I found the same problem with another program I updated and found that I had to rename the dll file install the update delete the new dll file then rename the original dll EG: rename ums.dll to ums.old. The error you are having is exactly the same as the one I received

• Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I worked with MS on this, and the DLL problem was fixed by reinstalling SP3, then going through the fix.

• Glad to hear.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply