SQL 65 Device Resize

• Hi All

Got a question that's stretching the old brain cells.

We have a 35gb SQL 65 database device that used to hold 25-30gb of data. Recently a huge amount of data was offloaded due to a change in business direction. Now we only have about 8gb of data.

I know the database can be shrunk, but is there anyway to reclaim the 20gb of unused space on the device?

If so, how? What quirks, tricks or tips are there?

Thanks for your help

Phill

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• not in v6.5. Need to bcp out, recreate, bcp in.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Thought as much. We'll most likely be re-creating on a new server anyway.

I'll generate DDL for all the objects and DTS the data over from our other SQL7 box.

If the database wasn't so broke I'd use the database transfer in EM.

Thanks

Phill

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• If I may piggy back onto this thread.

I have the same situation. I am not real experienced w/SQL Server- but I am it- so I'd like to get some advice.

My DB is on one device. I have 2 transaction logs on 2 other devices. I have never been able to drop the larger transaction log because no matter what I do it always tells me that there are fragments of the database left in the transaction log.

If I am going to copy the information out of the database, drop the device and recreate it- is this an advantageous time to clean up my transaction log situation?

What do I need to watch out for as far as rebuilding my old database?

If what I am asking is just way too broad- where might be a good place for me to start looking for information on how to make this move w/out losing anything. (I've got a couple books on administration for 6.5 but they go over all the stuff that is easy to do- not the things I need to do)

Thanks for your help and patience,

Ron

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose.

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply