SQL 6.5 and Y2K

• Nice question, thank you. I did not have to work with 6.5, because at the place of my employment we did not use SQL Server until, according to Microsoft developers, last line of Sybase code was removed from the product (thus giving birth to 100 percent Microsoft SQL Server 7 and initiating the party to celebrate the event). What I find amazing is that it is still easy to find some documentation about it. Here is the quote from TechNet Library -> TechNet Archive -> The Mole: Inside Microsoft -> The Mole # 5:

Yes, yes, yes, you can apply Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 5 to the Microsoft Small Business Server to make it fully Y2K compliant. While versions of SQL Server 6.5 SP2, SP3, and SP4 are compliant with minor issues, SP5 should provide complete adherence to our Y2K standards. This being the case, you can tell your clients a dumb joke (A man walked into a bar. Ouch!) Or simply urge them to have a nice day.

Oleg

• cengland0 (8/13/2010)

Although I did get the answer right, I had to pick the closest response to the correct answer.

Technically, it was version 6.50.339 that fixed the Y2K issue. Then, Service Pack 5 came out (version 6.50.415) which was defective and you shouldn't have used it. Then, Service Pack 5a (version 6.50.416) released.

So, you could have fixed the Y2K problem before the release of SP5a if you installed the "Y2K" hot fix to the 6.50.281 (SP4) or 6.50.297 versions.

:Wow:

Do we have a quorum in the forum to recommend awarding @cengland0 an extra point? 😀

• rjv_rnjn (8/13/2010)

cengland0 (8/13/2010)

Although I did get the answer right, I had to pick the closest response to the correct answer.

Technically, it was version 6.50.339 that fixed the Y2K issue. Then, Service Pack 5 came out (version 6.50.415) which was defective and you shouldn't have used it. Then, Service Pack 5a (version 6.50.416) released.

So, you could have fixed the Y2K problem before the release of SP5a if you installed the "Y2K" hot fix to the 6.50.281 (SP4) or 6.50.297 versions.

:Wow:

Do we have a quorum in the forum to recommend awarding @cengland0 an extra point? 😀

That depends on whether he remembered it or if he researched it. If he researched it, then he definitely gets an extra point. If he merely remembered it, then all he gets are the points we will be removing from all who thought this QotD was POINTless.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • CirquedeSQLeil (8/13/2010)

I actually remember this one. Thanks for the question. Would you believe that there are still some installs of 6.5 out there in the world?

5 years ago I was working at a company that I’ve found one SQL Server 6.5. Wonder if they still have it:-)

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• I remembered this one. Y2k Seems like a lifetime ago now!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply