Sql 2k8 Backup Log command change

• I just read this:

Under no circumstances should you delete the transaction log, try to rebuild it using undocumented commands, or simply truncate it using the NO_LOG or TRUNCATE_ONLY options of BACKUP LOG (which have been removed in SQL Server 2008).

From here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.02.logging.aspx

Can someone confirm that this is still changed in 2k8? I realize it's not always the most appropriate solution to getting a system back up and running when the log runs out of room, but sometimes you need the sledgehammer.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• NO_LOG and TRUNCATE_ONLY options have been removed in 2008. You can switch the recovery model from FULL to SIMPLE to achieve the same thing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865(v=SQL.100).aspx

The BACKUP LOG WITH NO_LOG and WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY options have been discontinued. If you are using the full or bulk-logged recovery model recovery and you must remove the log backup chain from a database, switch to the simple recovery model. For more information, see Considerations for Switching from the Full or Bulk-Logged Recovery Model.

• Edogg (9/20/2010)

NO_LOG and TRUNCATE_ONLY options have been removed in 2008. You can switch the recovery model from FULL to SIMPLE to achieve the same thing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865(v=SQL.100).aspx

The BACKUP LOG WITH NO_LOG and WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY options have been discontinued. If you are using the full or bulk-logged recovery model recovery and you must remove the log backup chain from a database, switch to the simple recovery model. For more information, see Considerations for Switching from the Full or Bulk-Logged Recovery Model.

:alien: Sigh, the equivalent of putting ice into a hot coffee because you might burn yourself with it. Well, thanks for the quick response, Edogg.

I'd hoped there was enough uproar that they'd re-rereleased it in a SP.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• I think moving to simple mode is the same thing, and cleaner. It's different, and it involves the change of code, but I think that the ALTER does the same thing.

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/20/2010)

I think moving to simple mode is the same thing, and cleaner. It's different, and it involves the change of code, but I think that the ALTER does the same thing.

From what I know of the mechanics of the two, I agree. Just annoying. I can only assume MS got tired of too many calls of 'But I backed it up with truncate! Why didn't it shrink?!'.. ensuing facepalm after facepalm.

- Craig Farrell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply