SQL 2022 RTM Install

• Hi there,

I have previously installed SQL 2022 RC1 on a dev server and now i'm looking to upgrade this to the recently released  RTM version.

I've not yet run through the install yet, however  from what i can see this may require a new SQL install or is there an in place upgrade option available on the install package to save rebuilding the SQL server  from scratch  ?

MS helpful as ever with documentation.

Thanks

James

• When dealing with pre-release versions of SQL Server, I would strongly advise to do a full, and thorough, uninstall and not attempt to upgrade. You never know what bits of code might not upgrade smoothly. They really don't test that much, if at all. You could easily land in an unsupported space.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant,

Many thanks for the response, that does make sense and although a little painful it will give peace of mind.

I'm all too familiar with MS and their suspect patching approaches across SQL and other environments

Appreciate your advice

James

• Oh, I think they've done a much better job on that stuff lately. Most upgrades these days (talking SQL Server, not Windows, don't get me started on the OS) have been insanely smooth sailing. I think we can thank Azure for that. They have to upgrade millions of instances now, so they don't want it to fail either.

But pre-release vs. post-release code, no, I wouldn't trust that farther than I can toss an Azure Data Center.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Personally I would start with a new Windows install. This makes sure that the server can be reproduced in the future if it fails.

Also in the past a place where I worked had upgraded fron a RC to the RTM. All was well for many months then some crashes happened. Eventually MS worked out some data structures created by the RC were not compatible with the RTM. They also said this would not have happened if we had done a clean RTM install.

Maybe this problem could not recur now, but maybe something else would. A SQL install on a guest machine is easy. If you use DNS aliases to connect applications to the server then swapping to a new box is also easy.  That is also part of why I would always go for a new build.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply