SQL 2019 SQLBrower.exe

• Hi,

Has anyone encountered an issue like this before - I have a 3 node active, active passive cluster running a variety of SQL Editions, 2014 up to 2016. Recently I installed SQL 2019 (CU17) and the SQLBrowser service although running was not working. No firewall, no blocked port, no missing SQLBrowser.exe file, Service running fine (checked on SQL Admin and Windows Services), nodes rebooted BUT my apps could not now connect to a named instance without stating the port number - before they could.

After much investigation I resolved the issue - the version of the SQLBrowser.exe file had changed. I stopped the service running, made a backup of the sqlbrowser.exe file and copied a version over from another cluster that did not have 2019 installed. Restarted services and bingo all back up and running.

Really strange but is anyone away of the sqlbrowser.exe file being updated and preventing it working after a 2019 installation?

More testing required but is it possible to install SQL 2019 without installing the SQL Browser service?

Thanks

• Very interesting.  Good to know.  Guessing this SQL 2019 box was an upgrade from an earlier version...?

• No, it was a fresh, install - just adding a new named Instance to a cluster. Should be routine stuff. What I am really trying to get to the bottom of is why the sqlbrowser.exe was updated with a new 2019 install because this new .exe was 100% the cause of my problem.

• Not surprised at a bit of weirdness since it sounds like the cluster is not all at the same release level.

• Interesting, I have SQL 2017 and 2016 on the same cluster work without issue. Adding a 2019 was an issue. I am going to get some guidance from Microsoft. It also presents another interesting issue in that if a 2017 instance was upgraded to 2019 would that also cause the same issue?!

• What is the OS version and have you checked the below link for OS support.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/general/use-sql-server-in-windows

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply