SQL 2017 FCI with File Share Witness - permissions?

• I have Win2016, SQL 2017 FCI with 2 node non shared storage using Always On AGs.  I have a separate server for the witness server, which is used for Quorum (File Share Witness).

When I run the Availability Group wizard I am receiving an error on the file share witness permissions.  If I have this right, I add the following to the share (in security?)

• Clustername
    • Node1
    • Node2
    • SQL Service Account
    • SQL Agent Account

They all have Full Control /Read Write.  What am I missing?

Cheers

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • I think you only need to grant permissions on the file share to the cluster computer account. It needs full access on the Share and the Folder.

• Mention of an FCI is confusing me; do you have an FCI AND Availability Groups or just Availability Groups?

What is the error message? Did you run the cluster validation wizard after creating the cluster?

• robnsilver - Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:01 PM

I think you only need to grant permissions on the file share to the cluster computer account. It needs full access on the Share and the Folder.

Correct, share permissions must be applied, then NTFS folder ACLs too

Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:11 AM

Mention of an FCI is confusing me; do you have an FCI AND Availability Groups or just Availability Groups?

Makes no difference whether FCI or AGs, the witness is at the Cluster config level and outside of sql server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Yes, I know that :-).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply