SQL 2014 - Using machine name already exists error after cluster installation failure- Even though node is removed

• Greeting -

Due to a SQL 2014 cluster installation failure related to security while setting up the primary node, I had to remove the node and any related installation programs from the node and redo the installation again.

However I am unable to use the machine name as the SQL network name during the instance configuration, I get the following:

[Details]

Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.InputSettingValidationException: The SQL Server failover cluster instance name "MachineName" already exists as a server on the network. Specify a different failover cluster instance name.

I followed the link http://jon.netdork.net/2011/06/07/failed-cluster-install-and-name-already-exists/ to flush the DNS name, but I am still getting the same name since the node name "MachineName" is listed under the cluster name. I have used machine name as SQL network name without an issue. I do not have any existing SQL machine name in network using same machinename which I want to use for this installation. Please advise.

• Did you see if the name existed in DNS when you were done? If you are installing it in a cluster does it still exist in the cluster configuration?

• You mean from the cluster manager, in cluster manager I see both node names (machine names) listed but nothing else as no SQL service has been setup. If I use machine name as SQL network name, it gives me error saying name exists and if I give it a new name I get name does not exists in the DNS!

• Does the network name or server name exist in Active Directory or DNS currently? You should not be using the host names of the servers at all. In cluster manager do you see anything under services and applications?

• I do not have access to AD, but I was told that the name of the machine name does exists and using the other name suggested to me does not exists.

In past for SQL server name I used machinename\instancename or genericname\instancename. The name is given to me to use.

• In a clustered setup you can't use machinename\instancename. You must have a new Server name for the cluster. Did you check both DNS and AD? The Server name will show up in AD and look like a computer name so if they search for it using the defaults it may not show up.

• The windows cluster is already setup. I am working on setting up the primary node for SQL server.

• I wanted to add that I tried TEST, and WEBTEST and the instance configuration takes both of them without an issue! Yet, it does not take the names I want to use!!!

• When you install the SQL server cluster it will add a service/application in the cluster configuration. I really think you need to double check that the server name exists as a computer in AD. See the link below

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2013/09/30/error-during-installation-of-an-sql-server-failover-cluster-instance.aspx

• I will. But as I stated, what it is puzzling is that I can not use two names I want to use yet using TEST or any other name works! I get name exists when I use the machine name and get name does not exists in the DNS when I use the name I am asked to use as SQL server network name! In past I have used different names and did not have to face such issue.

• Hi,

Could you provide more details on the error. You get this error on setup page? and also if you can post a screenshot of the error. Is this the second time you trying to install the SQL cluster setup after failed attempts?

Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply