SQL 2014 Server Developer Edition installation - service pack vs updates?

• Hi everyone,

Just bought a SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition on Amazon and installing it now. I see there is a SP1, SP1 Cumulative Update #1, and SP1 Cumulative Update #2. I also see that there is Update 9 for SQL Server 2014 here: http://blogs.sqlsentry.com/team-posts/latest-builds-sql-server-2014/ . The prerequisite for Update 9 is SP1. What is the proper order to install this on my PC?

Is it:

SQL Server 2014 Dev Edition

SP1

SP1 CU1

SP1 CU2

or

SQL Server 2014 Dev Edition

SP1

Update 9?

Thanks guys

• A CU is a cumulative update. This means that you only have to install the latest Cu to get all the updates contained in earlier CUs. But do you really need to install any CUs? My general recommendation would be to install service pack 1, and only install a CU if it contains a fix for a specific problem you have. Of course, if you're going to develop for only one SQL instance, you might be better off if you matched the version of your dev instance to the version of the production instance.

Robert van den Berg

Freelance DBA
    Author of:

• Robert vd Berg (10/14/2015)

A CU is a cumulative update. This means that you only have to install the latest Cu to get all the updates contained in earlier CUs. But do you really need to install any CUs? My general recommendation would be to install service pack 1, and only install a CU if it contains a fix for a specific problem you have. Of course, if you're going to develop for only one SQL instance, you might be better off if you matched the version of your dev instance to the version of the production instance.

This ^^^ is exactly right 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Thanks everyone. Installed SQL Server 2014 Dev Edition, SP1 and Cumulative Update 2 for SP1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply