SQL 2012 RTM 64bit Install Fails on Windows Server 8 Beta

• Hi all, anyone also getting the errors during installation?

It fails specifically for the DB Engine & SSRS.

SSAS, SQL Browser and SSIS install perfect.

Error components:

1. sqlrsshpconfigaction_install_configrc_cpu64

2. sqlengineconfigaction_install_confignonrc_cpu64

"The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest" & "Specified driver is invalid"

All prereq's were installed and updated.

No joy, tried a couple of times, but same error every time.

From searches on Google I now believe this is not a 2012 issue, but a couple of people had the same issues on R2 (which I didnt).

No idea what to try next....any advise?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• I assume this is running in a VM? What's your platform? (i.e. Hyper-V? VMware Workstation? VirtualBox?) Have you tried building a fresh VM with x64 bits and seeing if problem occurs there?

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• no, physical. OS installs as 64it, tried 32 and 64bit sql installers, same issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (3/26/2012)

Hi all, anyone also getting the errors during installation?

It fails specifically for the DB Engine & SSRS.

SSAS, SQL Browser and SSIS install perfect.

Error components:

1. sqlrsshpconfigaction_install_configrc_cpu64

2. sqlengineconfigaction_install_confignonrc_cpu64

"The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest" & "Specified driver is invalid"

All prereq's were installed and updated.

No joy, tried a couple of times, but same error every time.

From searches on Google I now believe this is not a 2012 issue, but a couple of people had the same issues on R2 (which I didnt).

No idea what to try next....any advise?

Can you post the actual error message(s) you received? Also, what ewrrors did you get in the error logs?

Not saying I can do much since I have neirhter SQL Server 2012 or Windows 8.

• Already reloaded Windows Image, will replicate errors and post.

• Errors attached

• seems issue with 32bit architecture...

log says ,

OS architecture: x64

Process architecture: 32 Bit

:unsure:

• Pradyothana Shastry (3/27/2012)

seems issue with 32bit architecture...

log says ,

OS architecture: x64

Process architecture: 32 Bit

:unsure:

Like I said, even with the 64bit arch, it fails, same error.

• Seems need to uninstall and install once again... Did you tried..?

As per the below link it was an issue with name getting updated...as part of workaround he tried out with new name...and got succeded ...

please check ....

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/710892/sql-server-2012-rc0-install-fails-citing-invalid-drivers

• Pradyothana Shastry (3/27/2012)

Seems need to uninstall and install once again... Did you tried..?

As per the below link it was an issue with name getting updated...as part of workaround he tried out with new name...and got succeded ...

please check ....

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/710892/sql-server-2012-rc0-install-fails-citing-invalid-drivers

OS and SQL retried probably 5 times.

• can you please upload log file from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120326_054901\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

• attached. renamed to txt for upload

• We're you trying to install Analysis Services? There was nasty bug in CTP releases around choosing to install AS and it crashing install when trying select default admins. Wonder if it slipped through or you found new variant of the bug.

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• Sqlchicken (3/27/2012)

We're you trying to install Analysis Services? There was nasty bug in CTP releases around choosing to install AS and it crashing install when trying select default admins. Wonder if it slipped through or you found new variant of the bug.

Nope, was aware of the CTP bug.

This is RTM.

Funny thing, when I try to install everything, SSAS is actually a successful component.

Reloaded server with Server 8, updated, VS updates, .Net updates etc...still failing.

• Update:

RC0 installed without any issues. RTM still failing.

Now I'm confused :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply