SQL 2012 Licensing

• At my last job, we ran 1 production SQL 2008 server, a test server, and a mirrored production server. But when it came time for paying our annual licensing costs, we only had to pay for the production box. Microsoft didn't force us to pay licensing for anything other than production.

Is this the norm? Is this still the case for 2012? Is this the same for any business, even if they don't pay annual microsoft costs, but are buying SQL once?

I'm asking because I want to upgrade to 2012 and I also would like to have a redundant server that I replicate to, but do I have to pay for SQL twice? And if so, what about the Unlimited user license?

• As with anything licensing, speak to Microsoft or your reseller direct.

I have attached the QRG for SQL 2012 licensing.

Typically mirrored servers dont require licensing as long as no user activity is happening on the server and they are totally redundant, otherwise yes you need to license both sides.

Dev/Test setups, usually every user access the box needs a developer license at around $50 each, if you have MSDN licenses you usually get the license already but check your MSDN subscription.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply