SQL 2012 High Availibility

• Perry Whittle (5/21/2012)

This is already detailed in my previous replies, but

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

does each node need to be part of the same cluster?

For availability groups, yes, all nodes need to be part of the same Windows cluster.

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Does SQL need to be installed as a Clustered Instance?

No, although you can use clustered instances if you wish, note that this does increase the complexity of the set up and will ultimately use shared storage for the nodes that participate in the clustered instance.

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Does the Server just need to be clustered?

Already answered above, the servers that are to be availability replicas need to be part of the same Windows cluster

Thanks

All of our Production systems are set up as 1 Database Per/Server

Am I right in that the Availibility Groups won't really serve a Massive purpose for me as we wont be failing over Groups of databases?

Thanks

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

No, although you can use clustered instances if you wish, note that this does increase the complexity of the set up and will ultimately use shared storage for the nodes that participate in the clustered instance.

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Already answered above, the servers that are to be availability replicas need to be part of the same Windows cluster

For availability groups, yes, all nodes need to be part of the same Windows cluster.

This is where I am a bit confused....

For AG's, all nodes must be part of the same cluster but with seperate storage?

For HA Instances all nodes must be part of the same cluster but with shared storage?

Thanks

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Is the below possible?

2 Servers part of the Same Windows Cluster

SQL Server installed as Clustered Instances on both Nodes

Seperate Storage

Would this configuration allow for Availibility Groups(Database Level Protection) & HA Instances (Instance Protection)?

Does Server 2008 with WSFC allow you configure a 2 node cluster with seperate storage?

Thanks

• derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

For HA Instances all nodes must be part of the same cluster but with shared storage?

Thanks

I'll try to clarify it a little more with a couple of examples

Imagine the following set up for a straight AlwaysOn availability group.

You have 2 nodes ServerA, ServerB both joined to the domain MyHugeCorp.com

Each server has the following local drive storage, not a shared LUN in sight 😉

C: = 80GB

D: = 80GB

F: = 750GB

G: = 500GB

H: = 350GB

You create a windows cluster titled CorpCluster01.MyHugeCorp.com and each server is joined to this cluster.

You install a non clustered SQL Server instance on each of the 2 nodes producing

ServerA\INST1

ServerB\INST2

You create an availability group titled AOHAGrp01 on ServerA\INST1 and include ServerB\INST2 as an availability replica, this is your AlwaysOn availability group.

Imagine the following set up for an AlwaysOn availability group using FCI.

You have 3 nodes ServerA, ServerB, ServerC all joined to the domain MyHugeCorp.com

Each server has the following local drive storage.

In addition, ServerA and ServerB have the following shared LUNs attached from a SAN

L: = 500GB

M: = 350GB

N: = 350GB

P: = 250GB

You create a windows cluster titled CorpCluster01.MyHugeCorp.com and each server is joined to this cluster.

You install a clustered SQL Server instance using virtual network name CorpSQLClust01 on the 2 nodes ServerA, ServerB producing

CorpSQLClust01\INST1

You install a non clustered instance on ServerC producing

ServerC\INST2

You create an availability group titled AOHAGrp1 on CorpSQLClust01\INST1 and include ServerC\INST2 as an availability replica, this is your AlwaysOn availability group.

Note here that ServerA and ServerB are part of the same Windows cluster as ServerC, only ServerA and ServerB are set up as failover partners for the clustered instance CorpSQLClust01\INST1.

Does this make sense?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Is the below possible?

2 Servers part of the Same Windows Cluster

SQL Server installed as Clustered Instances on both Nodes

Seperate Storage

Would this configuration allow for Availibility Groups(Database Level Protection) & HA Instances (Instance Protection)?

what you're getting into there is geo clustering, its expensive and tricky to manage and requires replicated storage. For an Availability group the SQL Server instances must run on separate nodes, this is a pre requesite. Although the nodes are part of the same Windows cluster the SQL Server instances are totally removed from each other.

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Does Server 2008 with WSFC allow you configure a 2 node cluster with seperate storage?

Thanks

Yes, that is how AlwaysOn works

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Thanks

You install a non clustered SQL Server instance on each of the 2 nodes producing

ServerA\INST1

ServerB\INST2

You create an availability group titled AOHAGrp01 on ServerA\INST1 and include ServerB\INST2 as an availability replica, this is your AlwaysOn availability group.

You have 3 nodes ServerA, ServerB, ServerC all joined to the domain MyHugeCorp.com

In addition, ServerA and ServerB have the following shared LUNs attached from a SAN

You install a clustered SQL Server instance using virtual network name CorpSQLClust01 on the 2 nodes ServerA, ServerB producing

CorpSQLClust01\INST1

ServerC\INST2

You create an availability group titled AOHAGrp1 on CorpSQLClust01\INST1 and include ServerC\INST2 as an availability replica, this is your AlwaysOn availability group.

Note here that ServerA and ServerB are part of the same Windows cluster as ServerC, only ServerA and ServerB are set up as failover partners for the clustered instance CorpSQLClust01\INST1.

Does this make sense?

Ok for the first scenario: Set up for a straight AlwaysOn availability group

When I create the Windows Cluster and add the 2 nodes to this Cluster - At no point do I "add disk" in the Cluster at all?

How would I configure DTC?

Is this scenario only providing me with Database Level Protection?

I won't be able to Failover the SQL Instance from one node to another?

Thanks

derekr 43208 (5/21/2012)

Thanks

ServerA\INST1

ServerB\INST2

CorpSQLClust01\INST1

ServerC\INST2

Does this make sense?

Regarding set up for an AlwaysOn availability group using FCI

CorpSQLClust01\INST1

For the above step, do you mean Install Clustered instance of SQL on one node and add the other node into the Cluster, using the Add Node installation on SQL Server?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply