SQL 2012 AG/FCI Failover

• SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

So I understand that when combining FCI with AG, automatic database failover is gone

Yes that is correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

but you still have automatic instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Yes correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

When you have an AG with no FCI, you have automatic database failover but no instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)[hrAre you aware of any way to achieve automatic failover of an instance and database using 2012 AlwaysOn functionality?

Thanks

Not immediately, no

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry

• Perry Whittle (5/7/2013)

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

So I understand that when combining FCI with AG, automatic database failover is gone

Yes that is correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

but you still have automatic instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Yes correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)

When you have an AG with no FCI, you have automatic database failover but no instance failover. Am I correct in this?

Correct.

SQLSACT (5/7/2013)[hrAre you aware of any way to achieve automatic failover of an instance and database using 2012 AlwaysOn functionality?

Thanks

Not immediately, no

Thanks Perry

One more thing, previously I have set up an AG combined with FCI

Now, I am setting up an AG with no FCI - Because both nodes are in the same cluster, I am assuming that I still need 2 drives presented to both servers, one for Quorum (For node and disk majority) and one for DTC. Correct?

Thanks

• SQLSACT (5/8/2013)

Now, I am setting up an AG with no FCI - Because both nodes are in the same cluster, I am assuming that I still need 2 drives presented to both servers, one for Quorum (For node and disk majority) and one for DTC. Correct?

Thanks

If you intend to use a disk for your quorum resource then yes it needs to be presented to each node in the cluster. Similarly, if you intend to make your MSDTC resource highly available across your cluster then the disk needs to be presented to each node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (5/8/2013)

SQLSACT (5/8/2013)

Thanks

If you intend to use a disk for your quorum resource then yes it needs to be presented to each node in the cluster. Similarly, if you intend to make your MSDTC resource highly available across your cluster then the disk needs to be presented to each node.

Thanks Perry

Do you know whether you can Log Ship a database involved in an AG? This is just for interest sake..

thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply