SQL 2008 vs. SQL 2008 R2

• Hi,

I have read lots of posts and information on the main differences between SQL 2008 and R2 and I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Currently I am building a new server that will need to have SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 R2 installed on it. We primarily are interested in R2 to utilize the Power Pivot components. I also need to install a 3rd instance on this server to migrate as many of my SQL 2005 databases over (some software do not support 2008 yet so i will have to leave some of them on SQL 2005) and my question is for this 3rd instance if I should just install SQL 2008 instead of another R2. We will not be needed the BI piece for this 3rd instance and although R2 does offer other benefits and advantages, it is a completely separate version and costs more for licensing. So I figure why pay extra when we aren't really going to use the extra features. But here is my question. Later on down the road, will the SQL 2008 upgrade path lead to R2? I see SQL 2008 now has SP2 released...so will it continue to just release SP's instead of at some point upgrading to R2? I can't find anything that shows if these two versions will be always treated as separate or will the paths eventually merge into a version of R2? I just want to make sure I don't have more work down the road to maintain a server with SQL 2005, SQL 2008 and R2...not sure if I should just install both as R2 instead? The reason for us needing two separate instances of 2008 in the first place is due to collation problems.

Thanks for any input!

Isabelle:-D

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• R2 is a separate version. It is as separate as SQL 2005 and 2008 are. The two are licensed separately (you cannot upgrade a 2008 to 2008 R2 without buying a license)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • As Gail said, the two are different. 2008 will not merge into R2 but there you can upgrade 2008 to R2. That will mean more work for you down the road. I would evaluate all of the features of R2 v 2008 and see if you can justify the extra in licensing cost v the extra cost in maintaining different versions of SQL.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thank you both for your reply. That's kinda what I was looking for. I will check and see how our licensing works here and choose accordingly.

Isabelle

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• You're welcome

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• If you have purchased per processor licensing for 2008 R2 - you are already licensed on that system and can install multiple instances with no additional cost.

Double check your licensing with your Microsoft representative to be sure, but that is the way I understand the licensing.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Last company I worked for made the decision to stay on 2008 on most servers because the licensing cost was too severe. The exceptions were SSRS servers, servers supporting spatial data, and servers supporting SharePoint. Those three exceptions were worth the added cost because of the radical improvements over 2008. Nothing else was compelling enough.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply