SQL 2008 to 2016 DTS question.

• I understand DTS is not supported in SQl 2016.    I read that it is possible to create SSIS jobs in Visual Studio. 
    I wonder if Community edition can be used for this purpose?   I heard SQL Data tools can also be used.  Is this an either/or situation?

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• fizzleme - Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:17 PM

I understand DTS is not supported in SQl 2016.    I read that it is possible to create SSIS jobs in Visual Studio. 
    I wonder if Community edition can be used for this purpose?   I heard SQL Data tools can also be used.  Is this an either/or situation?

SQL Server Data Tools is Visual Studio - so either and/or both will work.  If the only thing you are doing is business intelligence (SSIS/SSRS/SSAS) - then no need to install the full Visual Studio version.  If you have a need for Visual Studio - then any Edition will work...but you need to use a custom installation and include the business intelligence components when installing Visual Studio.

Note: if using Visual Studio Community Edition - you need to perform an update before those components will be available.  Check the Extensions and Updates and install any/all that you need.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Here are some details.  In our SQL 2008 installation we have 2 relatively simple DTS tasks that extract data from 2 tables, convert all the extracted data to strings and load the converted data into a separate table.
    Not rocket science.    But I haven't done much in DTS or SSIS.  Just trying to discover the easiest way to convert this to SQl 2016.    You said VS community edition may do the trick?

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• fizzleme - Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:33 PM

Just trying to discover the easiest way to convert this to SQl 2016.

Don't bother trying to convert it. SSIS bears such little resemblance to DTS, you should perform a rewrite. Jeffrey Williams explained what you need to install.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Ditch your DTS. In SSMS use the Import wizard to generate a package to do the import, save it to the file system. Create a new project in SSDT, delete the Package it creates and add your existing package from the file system and tweak as needed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply