SQL 2008 Standard Cluster Question

• Howdy All,

I have been trying to figure out what exactly the term "2-node failover clustering" means on the SQL 2008 editions comparison at:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx

While I interpret that as meaning that a standard server will not operate on larger than a 2-node SQL cluster, I am wondering if that means that the ENTIRE cluster can only be two nodes. For example, if I were to build a 4-node cluster where there were 3 x 2-node SQL clusters, would that be allowed.

Basically I am trying to figure out how far I can take standard edition and it still work AND be within licensing. I have some limitations that if I can get around I can save a bunch of $, if not, then so be it.

CEWII

• I'm a little puzzled as to why you would have a four node cluster and utilise only two of them? Wouldnt it make more sense to have two, two node clusters since best practice is generally to have SQL Server operate on its own server.

I "believe" you can install sql on the four node windows cluster but only add 1 additional sql node using the SQL installation wizard.

• that is the restriction of Standard Edition you can failover only 2 nodes if you want to failover more than 2 then you should for Enterprise Edition , this edition goes to 16 failover nodes

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• MysteryJimbo (4/27/2011)

I'm a little puzzled as to why you would have a four node cluster and utilise only two of them? Wouldnt it make more sense to have two, two node clusters since best practice is generally to have SQL Server operate on its own server.

I "believe" you can install sql on the four node windows cluster but only add 1 additional sql node using the SQL installation wizard.

I understand your confusion. What it comes down to is that I would use all four machines, there would be 3 seperate clustered SQL instances one on each node, each in an Active/Passive configuration. So each would be able to failover to another node, BUT unlike Enterprise there could only be two nodes for each instance. With enterprise I have done an Active/Active/Passive setup with 4 instances of SQL, no problem.

If it would allow me to add only a single additional node for each instance on standard that would be ok, worst case is I have to later. I think I can simulate it with VMs to be sure.

Basically I would be buying enterprise purely for clustering, which if I can accomplish what I want to without having to go to that level it makes sense. I could probably push enterprise for clustering alone, but fiscally I don't want to spend the $ if I don't have to.

CEWII

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (4/27/2011)

that is the restriction of Standard Edition you can failover only 2 nodes if you want to failover more than 2 then you should for Enterprise Edition , this edition goes to 16 failover nodes

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com[/quote%5DWhere the confusion is, is tied to what is considered a node. Keep in mind a cluster contains a potential superset of nodes. I can install SQL on ANY node and install the failover on any OTHER node. So the question really is what is counted, the total nodes in the cluster OR the total nodes that are configured for a particular instance. This is the part I have not been able to get a conclusive answer on.

CEWII

• I reckon that you'd have to read the terms & conditions for standard edition completely and I suspect that it won't be allowed.

However, have you considered several 2-node active/passive clusters that are independent of each other? From an SQL Server perspective that should be OK [1] and you'll save on the cost of 2 SQL Server licences to boot. I suppose that you could try it to see if it is possible.

[1] Although I haven't read the terms & conditions completely

• Sean,

I have considered the multiple 2-node clusters but for cost reasons it may be too much. Thanks for the thought.

CEWII

• 2 physical nodes

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Elliott Whitlow (4/26/2011)

if I were to build a 4-node cluster where there were 3 x 2-node SQL clusters, would that be allowed.

That would form the base Windows cluster and is outside of SQL Server so, yes. Your scenario is perfectly valid.

When you install the clustered instance you elect which nodes will participate, Standard will restrict you to 2 nodes out of the 4.

Just because you have a 4 node Windows cluster it doesn't mean your application has to be able to failover to all 4. You may have other clustered applications that you wish to service from other nodes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry,

That is what I thought would happen. I have installed many enterprise edition SQL boxes and I figured the process was the same. I just didn't know if it would choke on the install of the first or if I tried to add a third. I am completely ok with this scenario. Thanks.

CEWII

• Definitive answer!

1. SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 Standard Edition WILL install on a cluster that contains more than 2 nodes.

2. SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 Standard Edition setup will operate just fine until you try and add a 3rd node to an existing 2 node standard cluster.

I built a 3 node cluster and installed both versions. Both installed the first 2 nodes just the same as if it was Enterprise Edition. When I attempted to add the 3rd node, the rules check failed because the node count would be more than was allowed for that edition.

So there we have it, node count of the cluster itself does NOT matter, node count for an instance of SQL server DOES.

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (5/16/2011)

Definitive answer!

1. SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 Standard Edition WILL install on a cluster that contains more than 2 nodes.

2. SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 Standard Edition setup will operate just fine until you try and add a 3rd node to an existing 2 node standard cluster.

I built a 3 node cluster and installed both versions. Both installed the first 2 nodes just the same as if it was Enterprise Edition. When I attempted to add the 3rd node, the rules check failed because the node count would be more than was allowed for that edition.

So there we have it, node count of the cluster itself does NOT matter, node count for an instance of SQL server DOES.

CEWII

exactly as we expected 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply