SQL 2008 SSRS Control for Reporting Services

• Synopsis: I am in immediate need of the SSRS control with SQL 2008 that will allow for HTML encoded text in a column be displayed properly. I am wondering if I download the RC0 from MSDN if I can install and use this control in an ASP.NET project.

Details:

Here is the scenario in more detail. I have a VS2008, ASP.NET web project where the user can use the FCKEditor web control to enter formatted text. The control saves the text with all the HTML tags in the database. If I then retrieve this data in an HTML page, it looks fine.

However, If I use the SSRS control from VS2008 with this data, all the HTML tags show up in the report.

My understanding is that the SQL 2008 SSRS engine will now allow you to show the HTML encoded text as it would show on a web page.

My Question is, if I download and install the RC0 version of SQL 2008, do I get this new Reporting services control? Can I then use it in my Visual Studio 2008 project?

I am going to cross post this in several forums, since the question crosses several products. 🙂

Thanks!

• I got my answer on the MSDN Forums, so I am posting it here.

Brian Hartman - MSFT

The standalone ReportViewer control does not ship with SQL Server, so there is nothing in that download that you can load into ASP.Net. However, if you use SQL Server 2008, the the rich text capabilities will be available to the existing VS 2008 ASP.Net ReportViewer control when it runs in server mode.

An updated version of the ReportViewer that includes the SQL 2008 processing engine (and therefore rich text support), is currently in development and will be released separately.

• Actually they lied because SQL Server does not own the Reportviewer control it was created by the Developer department you can download it free from the link below and because it is part of VS2008 it has been RTM for more than six months.

http://www.gotreportviewer.com

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply