SQL 2008 SSMS Server Management Studio crashes all the time since last week.

• SQL 2008 Express Server Management Studio SSMS crashes all the time with the following message:

SSMS - SQL Server Management Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

What can I do??? Please Help! Is this a .NET Framework issue??!! How can I get more on this error??

Thanks so much!!!

• Hi,

Check out the eventviewer it will give more info on the error. start->run->eventvwr

Thanks

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Hi Chandra:

Thanks so much! The event viewer gave me a big clue.

The error I get is:

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting.

Do I need to reinstall .NET Runtime 2.0?

Thanks again!

Alan

• Hi Chandra and all who have this problem:

I found a sort of solution that works!

The error is really in the msenv.dll. I had an older version that I replaced with a newer one in my Program Files\Microsoft SQL SERVER\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE directory. My problem msenv.dll was dated 4/28/2008. I replaced it with one dated 7/30/2008.

The only issue is when SSMS comes up, it shows none of my databases. I had to reattach them and give them new names.

This is definitely a SQL SSMS bug.

If any of you have this problem, I would be happy to elaborate further. I'll check this forum quite often.

All the Best,

Alan

• Where do you get a newer msenv.dll file, and does this solution work for SQL Server 2005?

• I did a search of all my hard drives for the file msenv.dll. I found 2 different versions. One dated 4/2008 and the other (the correct one) dated 7 28/2008 (1 forget the exact day but the month was 7).

Use that newer dll and let me know if you find it or have problems.

Good Luck!

• Newer msenv.dll has date of 7/28/2008/

Not sure if this will work for SQL 2005.

Good luck again!

• I found a newer version on my machine and replaced my old file. SSMS comes up fine so far. Hopefully it will fix my problem too. Thanks for the help.:-)

• Awesome! Take care and all the best!

• Alan,

I had the same problem, your solution works!

Thanks much!

:-D:-D:-D

QQ

• replacing msenv.dll with its higher version seems to have resolved the issue. I just searched it on my server and found higher version in .net folder and copied it to same folder where ssms.exe [SQL management studio] was located

you can get the location by right click properties on SQL management studio in Start>All Programs>.......>SQL management studio.

Hope this helps.

• Alan Levin - Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:00 PM

Hi Chandra and all who have this problem:I found a sort of solution that works!The error is really in the msenv.dll. I had an older version that I replaced with a newer one in my Program Files\Microsoft SQL SERVER\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE directory. My problem msenv.dll was dated 4/28/2008. I replaced it with one dated 7/30/2008.The only issue is when SSMS comes up, it shows none of my databases. I had to reattach them and give them new names.This is definitely a SQL SSMS bug.If any of you have this problem, I would be happy to elaborate further. I'll check this forum quite often.All the Best,Alan

Hi Dear Alan,i have also strucked in the same issue.Can you please tell me the process how to replace msenv.dll  dated 4/28/2008 file with dated 7/30/2008 ?.Waiting for your reply.....thanks in advance.

• balanagaraju36 - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:01 AM

Alan Levin - Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:00 PM

Hi Chandra and all who have this problem:I found a sort of solution that works!The error is really in the msenv.dll. I had an older version that I replaced with a newer one in my Program Files\Microsoft SQL SERVER\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE directory. My problem msenv.dll was dated 4/28/2008. I replaced it with one dated 7/30/2008.The only issue is when SSMS comes up, it shows none of my databases. I had to reattach them and give them new names.This is definitely a SQL SSMS bug.If any of you have this problem, I would be happy to elaborate further. I'll check this forum quite often.All the Best,Alan

Hi Dear Alan,i have also strucked in the same issue.Can you please tell me the process how to replace msenv.dll  dated 4/28/2008 file with dated 7/30/2008 ?.Waiting for your reply.....thanks in advance.

This is an 8 year old thread but why not use a more up to date version of SSMS?

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:27 AM

balanagaraju36 - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:01 AM

Thanks

Dear Alen,we are using this old version only in my project.Can you pls tell me the  process?

• balanagaraju36 - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:44 AM

NorthernSoul - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:27 AM

balanagaraju36 - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:01 AM

Thanks

Dear Alen,we are using this old version only in my project.Can you pls tell me the  process?

There's no reason to use such an old version. Install a newer version and see if that works.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply