SQL 2008 Server Replication requires the actual server name.

• Hi guys,

I have finally been granted a SQL dev server for a POC for a reporting/BI/DW solution for the coming years.

I am trying to setup replication from our current production servers to this new server, I'm having no problems connecting and creating a subscription database for SQL instance which exist in our domain, although those that exist in our sub-domain I'm having issues with. Some stats in regards to the sub-domain instances are:

Full domain trust exists.

I can ping through FQDN's

I can connect with SSMS using FQDN's

The FQDN is 'HKDBSRV01.asia.CompanyXZY.corp'

I have created an Alias, connected successfully through SSMS, but it fails on attempting to connect to publisher for replication.

On a different SQL 2000 instance I have a subscriber already connected and replicating for the past 6 months.

When trying to select the publisher I am getting the error:

SQL Server Replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server.

Connects through a server alias, IP addres, or any other alternate name are not supported.

Specify the actual server name 'HKDBSRV01'(Replication.Utility)

This issue is very similar to that of Post: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic415693-291-1.aspx

Although in this case creating an alias does not work.

Any suggestions or work arounds, has anyone had similar experiences?

Cheers.

• ** SOLUTION **

After investigating into the many possible ways around this using SQL Server 2008 the solution was simple.

Instead of trying to create the Push Subscription from the subscriber (SQL 2008) to the publisher (SQL 2000) on the child domain, all that was required is to create the Push Subscription on the publisher, registering and pointing to the subscriber.

Only point to note is that when you register the SQL Server 2008 instance on the SQL 2000 instance you will not be able to browse to it as SSMS is required. Accept the registration anyway and create the push subscription.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply