SQL 2008 RTM but SSMS Pre_Release?

• Hello All,

I have SQL 2008 installed on a couple of servers and on my PC the Client Tools (SSMS). While looking up some stuff I discovered that the version of SSMS seems to be a Pre-Release?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

I checked on the actual servers and the SSMS reports the same.

I tried to upgrade to 2008 SP1 on my desktop but it failed miserably, apparently because of that.

Now, on one of the servers we have applied the 2008 SP1 and the SSMS still states to be pre-release (not sure if there were any client components upgraded on that one though).

Now, can someone explain why I have a pre-release SSMS when the actual engine is the 2008 RTM and how I can fix, if possible, my SSMS so I can upgrade to newer releases?

Thanks....

• Reinstall the client tools from an RTM (or later) disk.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Strange thing is that I DID install all from an RTM disk. I have 1 SQL 2008 Server install with the Client tools, and the version for the engine is the RTM version yet the SSMS shows as Pre_release.....

I will request a new media from M$ and see if that "fixes" the issue. I am just worried that as we start upgrading servers to 2008 that we'll have issues with the SSMS failing to upgrade because of this ...

• Definitely odd.

Now I have to look at the copy of 2008 I have at home. You made me curious.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yes, that's very odd. I confirmed with the other DBA here and he has also the Pre_release SSMS installed.... He's requesting the media from M$ now..

• i checked our production server and found the same. Did some googling. This is what I found on msdn. It says pre_release with 10.0.1600.22 is the final product.

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2008/08/18/is-it-really-the-released-version-of-sql-server-2008.aspx

• Ok, if it is the "final" version, why does it fail to install the Tools (which includes SSMS) on my desktop when I try to install 2008 SP1?

• Why is your upgrade failing? I am going to guess that it is because you are getting an error. :w00t:

If you wouldn't mind posting the error you are getting, I am sure we can sort out what the problem is.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• It is failing with a message like you can see in attached file

Searching a bit for it, there might be some solutions I can test.... I'll try at least 🙂

• That looks like a problem with MSXML - which has caused quite a few issues with SQL Server installs. I found this: http://www.avianwaves.com/Blog/default.aspx?id=98&t=Mystery-of-the-SQL-Server-2008-RTM-MsiGe - which walks through how to fix this issue.

Let us know if that helps

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Thanks Jeffrey. Came across the same link, and am trying now to get this to work without editing the database..... I'll post results.

• Seems to be a different issue. MSXML 6.0 uninstalled/re-installed without issues..... and even after this I can't install 2008 SP1....

• That's too bad - other links have shown other applications could be interfering also. I hope you can find the offending application(s) and remove them, otherwise you are looking at rebuilding your system - which is not a great solution. 😉

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Yup, but I am not even sure if rebuilding my system will work.... If I use the same 2008 media, I will more than likely end up with the same setup.....

• Not from what I have seen - this error is caused by some piece of a previous installation of SQL Server that is not fully uninstalled. By rebuilding your system, you get rid of that partially uninstalled application.

Again, not a good solution - but from what I have seen so far that appears to be what most people have had to resort to.

Before going that route - I would scour the system for any remnants of SQL Server and remove them. I would download the Windows Cleanup utility and see what is there that I could remove after removing everything possible with Add/Remove. I would also find and download MSIZAP and see what it finds and remove all remnants.

Also, just to be real clean I would remove anything related to Visual Studio. Once I was able to get SQL Server installed, I would then re-install Visual Studio.

If that all fails - I'd be rolling up my sleeves and getting down to formatting the hard-drive and rebuilding the system.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply