SQL 2008 R2 Express Advanced Services

• For some reason I took the default install on the entire package. I have been able to use the database server with no problem. I now want to publish something to my local computer and it tells me I have insufficient privileges to do anything with reporting services. I can't even go to the main URL to administer it. The error message I get is:

Reporting Services error (The permissions granted to user ... are insufficient for performing this operation.) . I have found many Google searches but none of them resolve the problem. I have taken full control over all of the RS folders and I am an administrator too.

I am really tired of beating my head over what should not be a problem. Does anyone have any ideas why I can't publish a report to my local reporting services?

Thanks

Rob

• Do you recall being provided the option to specify the administrator password for the SQL Server instance during the installation process? Had you not just done a default install, you would have had opportunity to make your user id an administrator from SQL's perspective. You'll still need to do that, but you'll need admin rights in SQL to do so. If you can find the password for the SQL login "sa", you can login using SQL authentication with the sa id, and then set up your current login as a member of the fixed database role "sysadmin". Failing same, you'll need to provide more detail...

Steve

Steve (aka sgmunson) πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• I have setup SSRS on several other servers with no issues. I am an admin and did choose all of the administrative options when installing SSRS 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services. No matter how much control I allow my user name to have, even running something as admin, it keeps telling me that I do not have sufficient privileges to do this work. I did finally get it to work by going to user control options in the control panel and turning off UAC settings. Once I did that everything works. I know that is a bad way, but I have checked the permissions on all of the other servers I have installed and my local has the exact same settings. The only real difference is Express vs Enterprise.

If you have an idea how to make this still work while turning on UAC I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Unfortunately, I have no idea. UAC has always been such a royal pain that the only servers worth leaving it turned on would be those that are externally facing boxes directly exposed to the net. If the server is behind the firewall, then at some point, you have to trust the server break/fix and admin folks to do the right thing, and have appropriate, tested, DR plans in place to recover any given server based on good backups. Leaving UAC on otherwise does little to stop a determined admin person with the right skill-set, and that skill-set isn't exactly rare any more. Also, it's not exactly going to stop the good old finger-check if the user gets so used to clicking on a UAC OK prompt that it's become an almost automatic response.

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

:-):-):-)

• Hold on a sec... just had a thought... is there any chance that the service account SQL runs under might need to be a local admin on the box? SQL 2008 Dev Edition as well as SQL 2008 R2 have both made me do that within the last week...

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

• I will try that locally to see if that changes anything just for convenience sake. I think I will leave off the UAC since it is a laptop that is only used by me.

• The SQL Server service account never needs to be a local admin. Many people make it a local admin because they don't want to spend the time to look up and apply all the priviliges needed to make things work without the service account needing to be an admin.

The problem decribed about SSRS is due to the way privilged accounts work in Vista and above. If you are logged on as an administrator and UACC is active you have two sets of priviliges a) standard user priviliges which are used by default, b) administrator priviliges that are only used when specifically requested.

If you have SSRS set up to allow local admin users the right to do anything and do not have your own account specifically added to SSRS, then by default you have no rights to do anything other than guest access in SSRS.

If you want to publish to SSRS, then right-click on the tool you want to use and select 'Run as an Administrator'. This will elevate your priviliges and let you use the admin rights in SSRS.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop HΓ©lder CΓ’mara

• That explains a lot... Knowing exactly which priveleges to grant is the grief that too many of us just aren't familiar with. For desktop OS installations, it's one heck of a lot easier to just create a single admin account and run all the services on that account, than try and find all those specific priveleges and put them in place.

I have yet to come across a well-documented list of those requirements, all in one place. I'd want the list to include priveleges required by any of the services, so that no matter what installation options I choose, I'd know exactly which priveleges to put in place from that list.

Does anyone know where I can find that information?

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

• I have put this information in the FineBuild reference manual. The best download if you just want this information can be found at http://sqlserverfinebuild.codeplex.com/releases/view/65785

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop HΓ©lder CΓ’mara

• Thanks Ed, I've downloaded the various FineBuild items and now the challenge is to get the time needed to start playing around with it.

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply