SQL 2008 Enterprise edition 2008 backup compression usage

• Hi,

I have a SQL2008 Enterprise Edition-64 bit edition installed; and i want to use the SQL2008 backup compression technique made available, here is what i wish to know.

Quest 1:

SQL2008 Enterprise edition alone supports the backup compression technique; SQL2008 Standard Edition WILL NOT support backup compression technique is my understanding, please tell me if its right or wrong

Quest2:

If i am using the backup compression technique in Enterprise edition, and if i want to have this compressed backup Restored in a SQL2008 Standard edition box, will i be able to Restore the database or will the compression technology refrain me from doing so, as you see we cant afford to have Enterprise license for test box and the same time we need to test the databases in test env for which the prod backups are essential

Regards

Eben

• Ans 1

True. We can not compress db in Std edition

Ans 2

I have gone the below link and read the following

"Backup compression was introduced in SQL Server 2008 Enterprise. Beginning in SQL Server 2008 R2, backup compression is supported by SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard and all higher editions. Every edition of SQL Server 2008 and later can restore a compressed backup."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964719.aspx

• ebenraja (4/5/2011)

Hi,

I have a SQL2008 Enterprise Edition-64 bit edition installed; and i want to use the SQL2008 backup compression technique made available, here is what i wish to know.

Quest 1:

SQL2008 Enterprise edition alone supports the backup compression technique; SQL2008 Standard Edition WILL NOT support backup compression technique is my understanding, please tell me if its right or wrong

Do you have SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 20008 R2?

Standard Edition in R2 has backup compression. If you have SQL Server 2008 (not R2) you need Enterprise to do the compression, but not the restore.

Quest2:

If i am using the backup compression technique in Enterprise edition, and if i want to have this compressed backup Restored in a SQL2008 Standard edition box, will i be able to Restore the database or will the compression technology refrain me from doing so, as you see we cant afford to have Enterprise license for test box and the same time we need to test the databases in test env for which the prod backups are essential

Regards

Eben

According to the link below "Every edition of SQL Server 2008 and later can restore a compressed backup. " So you should be fine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964719.aspx

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Many Thanks Stefan and Shaiju , the answers were really useful for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply