SQL 2008 backward compatibility

• Has anyone come across any issues at all using SQL 2008 tools to remotely administer SQL2005 servers?

In particular the database engine but the same goes for SSAS,SSRS and SSIS connections via SSMS.

cheers in advance

george

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Yes, in an active thread in this same topic! 😉

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic882092-391-1.aspx

• oops should have found that! thanks for the pointer, I have subscribed to the thread to keep an eye on it.

I does sound like its possibly in the guys database schemas rather than a compatibility issue but does show you can get different results.

I asked the question because I have to roll out the tools to the devs desktops as part of an upgrade and was toying with idea of just replacing the SQL 2005 tools, I think I will leave them with both as we will have both flavours out there.

cheers

george

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• My personal opinion, it that the 2008 tools are vastly superior, and I have encountered no insurmountable difficulties myself.

As a trivial example: once you have been able to run the same query on multiple servers all at once...the world is never the same.

That's just SSMS and SSIS though - SSRS is different (SSIS has also been fine for me). You will need to leave the devs with the 2005 RS tools - the upgrade process can be quite painful there.

SSAS has also been fine, but I have not had to access any 2005 cubes with that so can't really say.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply