SQL 2005/2000 monitoring in an enterprise environment

• We're evaluating numerous products for centralized monitoring of all the corporation's SQL Server instances.  We asked a Microsoft rep today about MOM and the rep responded that we can do everything with our SMS install and don't need MOM.  Does anyone have any experience or comments about monitoring SQL Server using SMS?

Regards,

Brent

• I haven't been a big fan of MOM because my organization uses other products that fit the bill just as well, but I know MOM does things SMS doesn't, or at least does them much, much easier. Probably the best thing to do is request a meeting or conference call with some folks who support the SQL Server monitoring components of MOM and have them explain the differences. For what you are trying to do you may not it, but it doesn't hurt to ask for more information.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thank you for your response.

We're still searching for the best solution.  Would you mind saying which products you have used and your thoughts on why you chose them?

Regards,

Brent

• We've taken a look at Argent, HP OpenView, and some others in the space. HP OpenView is nice, but pricey. Argent isn't exactly cheap, but it does a lot of things and has a module specifically for SQL Server (and another for Oracle). It used to advertize in MCP Magazine and the MCP Mag newsletters as being preferred over MOM. Don't know if it still does.

http://www.argent.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Depends what you mean by monitoring. Quest and Imceda both offer monitoring products for SQL Server. Of the two I probably preferred Quest's because the interface is both funkier and presents the information more cleanly, although I have a feeling the Imceda product might give you more information, although both of them present you with a mind blowing array of real-time stats about your server. I can't remember off the top of my head what Imceda's offering is called, but Quest's is called Spotlight. As far as I know you can download and install trial versions of both of them so the best thing I'd suggest is have a play and see what you think.

HTH,

Bart

• Good point, I'm thinking large scale for the enterprise... With respect to the Quest tools, Foglight is your long term monitoring solution. Spotlight is for checking when there's a problem. Spotlight can seriously hammer the database server itself, which is why it's often used to spot check (no pun intended) when issues come up.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We use Symantec/Veritas I3 to monitor our 75+ SQL Servers. It's awesome. It can give you an overview of what's happening and then you can go indepth to see more detail, all the way down to seeing the query causing problems. It can email you when thresholds are exceeded. It can even 'predict' the future. Based on data it has already collected, it can tell you what to expect on your system in the future.

-SQLBill

• That's one I haven't looked at. After such a positive post by SQLBill I may see about getting a trial version to take a look.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for your post.  I didn't know about I3 so I'll definetly check that one out.

-Brent

• not sure about the current version of MOM, but the original was a lite licensed version of some well known monitoring product called NetQ or something like that with MS branding on top of it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply