SQL 2005, Win2k3 Std, 10GB Ram usage

• Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of reading and i'm now a little confused. I'm running SQL Server 2005 SP2 on Win2k3 SP2 Standard Edition, Server has 10GB Ram and 8 Xeon Processors. SQL can sometimes slow the system for other users (about 70 logons) so i'd like to use the AWE function to make use of the remaining 6/7GB that's simply sat there doing nothing.

Windows reports 3GB available, and SQL is using 1.6 / 1.7GB of this reguarly.

My confusion starts here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190673.aspx

Quote:

"The amount of physical memory supported has increased with the introduction of the Windows Server 2003 family. The physical memory accessible by AWE depends on which operating system you are using. The following list provides the maximum physical memory accessible by each Windows Server 2003 operating system at the time of writing.

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition supports physical memory up to 4 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports physical memory up to 32 GB.

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports physical memory up to 64 GB."

To me this means that the Standard Edition, even with AWE all configured correctly, still WONT support any more than 4GB of RAM. I know it wont support this amount for normal applications, but to me this sentence means that it still wont support it even in AWE mode.

Can anyone shine any light on this? Am I reading into this all wrong? What are my options? Why O Why my predecessor bought a beast of a server with only Standard Edition is beyond me!

• andy.woodier (10/13/2009)

Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of reading and i'm now a little confused. I'm running SQL Server 2005 SP2 on Win2k3 SP2 Standard Edition, Server has 10GB Ram and 8 Xeon Processors. SQL can sometimes slow the system for other users (about 70 logons) so i'd like to use the AWE function to make use of the remaining 6/7GB that's simply sat there doing nothing.

Windows reports 3GB available, and SQL is using 1.6 / 1.7GB of this reguarly.

To me this means that the Standard Edition, even with AWE all configured correctly, still WONT support any more than 4GB of RAM. I know it wont support this amount for normal applications, but to me this sentence means that it still wont support it even in AWE mode.

Can anyone shine any light on this? Am I reading into this all wrong? What are my options? Why O Why my predecessor bought a beast of a server with only Standard Edition is beyond me!

It will support more than 4GB of memory after you enable PAE and AWE. Most things I have read point to this blog entry by Brian Madden. The catch to doing the switches to increase the amount of memory Windows can see can also cause issues if you are using this server for multiple applications. If SQL is the only main application being used on the server you should not have much of a problem. If you server is a 64-bit architecture you are better off installing the 64 bit version of Windows, since it does not have the issue of memory limits.

Mind you this is all to the extent of what I understand of it all as well. I am sure you will get some more knowledgeable post by others.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply, that's very helpful. The Server is the Domain Controller, File Server, Print Server, Web Server (IIS) and SQL Server, for around 70 users.

Do you think it wise to use the PAE / AWE options bearing in mind it's doing all of this?

• andy.woodier (10/14/2009)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, that's very helpful. The Server is the Domain Controller, File Server, Print Server, Web Server (IIS) and SQL Server, for around 70 users.

Do you think it wise to use the PAE / AWE options bearing in mind it's doing all of this?

Is this server your only server you have?

SQL can sometimes slow the system for other users (about 70 logons)

How do those 70 users connect to the server (SQL connection, Intranet site, local login)? How exactly do you see SQL slow the system down?

I would suggest that SQL is not the exact cause of your issue. If you have access to another server I would try to pawn off the DC and Printer server functions at least.

Shawn Melton

• Hi,

Only have the 1 server i'm affraid. I've been trying to convince them I need 2 really (i'd have a dedicated SQL server).

All users connect via LAN. We use a system called Archibus that has well over 300 SQL tables. When running some processes on this system it slows right down, sometimes affecting even File Server speed.

Day to day the system is lightning quick, and the server is bearly breaking a sweat.

I have a team of people who supplied the Archibus software trying to work out why it becomes so slow at times (I think the tables are a mess) but i'd quite like to utilise the memory that's sitting there to at least see if it improves things. Hence my question really.

• Hi Melton,

If OS version(standard edition) doesn't support more than 4GB even if you enable /PAE switch, how the sql server will(AWE) addersss the windows extention on 32 bit server?

Please help me to understand clear

• jagadeesanpv (10/14/2009)

Hi Melton,

If OS version(standard edition) doesn't support more than 4GB even if you enable /PAE switch, how the sql server will(AWE) addersss the windows extention on 32 bit server?

Please help me to understand clear

I stand corrected Andy. The PAE and /3GB switch in the boot.ini file will allow OS and the application to grab the MAX of 4GB and no more. This KB article explains a little and has a good link to a blog post. (Reading the blog post is when it hit me what jagadeesanpv was asking.)

So, the switch is just going to allow you to see 4GB available memory that Windows shows instead of 3GB. If you want the server to see the additional 6GB of memory you will have to upgrade to Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 32-bit. This shows the limits of the OS.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Shawn Melton

• That's what i thought, i just wasn't 100% as everything i've read conflicts. So it's clear now:

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition supports 4GB MAX no matter what.

I suppose the obvious question now is is it worth me bothering with the /3GB switch to utilize a further 1GB RAM, or shall i just leave it well alone?

Thanks for all input so far guys.

• Being that this is the only server you have the 1GB of RAM could help you out.

At the same time I would be curious to know what is going on with the server when you notice it bog down. Gathering data through Windows Performance monitor or SQL Profiler could provide you with enough information and proof that your company either needs to upgrade the OS or buy another server.

Shawn Melton

• I'll give it a try at the weekend i think then, you never know.

I will post back with findings when it's solved. I think it's more to do with the crappy table structure in Archibus than the Server itself.

SQL Profiler? Never used it. Is this a standard SQL 2005 feature?

• It is installed as part of the SQL Server Management Studio desktop tools. Listed under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Performance Tools.

Shawn Melton

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply