SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor

• Hello!

I was trying to use SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor to analyze our SQL 2000 databases to detect any code incompatible with SQL Server 2005. Unfortunately, it came back with some very minor changes after analyzing SQL Server 2000 server and database I selected. I was wondering if I am using the right tool for that.
        Where can I see any deprecated/obsolete features?

Thanks,
    Igor
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Did you run the Advisor using a trace file or SQL scripts? That's probably the best bet to catch outdated code.

There's also some documentation in the Upgrade Advisor's Help document that disucsses deprecated features, etc.

Cheers,

Joshua Jones

• Joshua,

I pointed Advisor to SQL 2000 database and it came back with very minor recommendations. Do you think it is better to generate script for all database objects and let Advisor process it?

Thanks,

Igor

• The Upgrade Advisor will catch any code in stored procedures, views, etc. as well as any functional dependencies on deprecated components or changed components. If you also specify trace files or sql scripts, you can analyze code that lives "outside" of the database itself (i.e. analyzing a trace file that was run against the database will help catch embedded T-SQL calls). The analyzer can't analyze extended stored procs

For the databases I've run it in, it has caught all dependencies on system objects, changed features (such as Mail), etc. without issue. I've had a few databases that reported very few problems; it may be the case that your database simply doesn't have that many issues with upgrading to 2005.

Again, I would check the documentation in the Upgrade Advisor. There are quite a few issues to read through, but knowing them and checking your servers/databases against that list will help avoid problems that the Advisor may have missed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Joshua Jones

• Joshua,

Thanks for your feeback!

Igor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply