SQL 2005 Upgrade

• It sounds like you have what is referred to as a side by side installation. In order to accomplish this you had to have created a NAMED instance in the 2005 installation. I suspect that when you restore to that system you are NOT specifying an instance name that is necessary to restore to.

When you are in The Management Studio it should show you the instance name. .. It will be the name after the "/" ServerName/InstanceName

• Hi all,

I have restored my SQL 2000 database onto SQL 2005 with the compatibility level remain 80. Now, I would like to switch the compatibility level fro 80 to 90 to ustilise the advanced functionality of 2005, but I am not aware of the fact that how it will affect my database? Will some sql code stopped functioning after switching?

Are there some testing scripts available to check whether everything is allright after the switch over from 80 to 90?

OR

How can I test on my own to verify this?

Best Regards,

Hemant Sengar

• there are some differences, but mostly depends on the complexity of your DB. On way of getting a good estimate is to run the upgrade advisor on the 2000 server. It does not modify anything, just comes back with an analysis.

Curtis Smith
    SQL Server DBA
    Well in worked in Theory ...

• Thanks to All for your replies,

I solved my problem. I had to create a new instance with a different name for my SQL 2005 databases. I now have a side-by-side instalation and can access both types of my SAP BusinessOne databases on my laptop, which is also a server.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rick Winn

APPS Group Inc.

SAP BusinessOne Solution Consultant

• Hi Smith,

Thanks for your reply.

But I had already upgraded my database to 2005 (by backup and restore process). In this excercise compatibility level remains on 80. Now, I want to switch it to 90.

Can I do it directly without any problems or some of my functionality stop functioning? How can I check this?

If I run the upgrade advisor on 2005 will it be OK.

Best Regards,

Hemant Sengar.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply