SQL 2005 Transaction Logs

• On one of our servers runs Solarwinds SQL database. At the moment it has a 137gb log file. Both this log file and database are backed up by AVAMAR. I do not think we would use this log to run a point in time restore so is it really necessary?

Or is there a quick way I can truncate that file?

• Hi,

the space the log is taken on disk is different to the used pages in the log file. So if you have backed up the log, the parts of log file can reuse the backed up log space (if there is no active transaction in this part), but it would not shrink the log file automatically. And I wouldn't recommend it, because the logfile would fragment to much if you always shrink the log.

Check the free space of the log file:

SQL Server Management Studio -> Right click on Database -> Tasks -> Shrink -> Files -> Choose Log instead of Data and see the Available Free Space

What size the databases have?

Greets

pitcher

[font="Arial"]Kind regards,

Patrick Fiedler
    Consultant

Fiedler SQL Consulting

www.fiedler-sql-consulting.de
    [/font]

• First thing first why is your log at 137GB?

What is the size of the DB?

If you have no need for a point in time recovery look at resetting the DB recovery model into SIMPLE mode.

If there are BULK loads that occur you may want to put the recovery model into BULK-LOGGED that provides a bit of Point in Time recovery.

• The DB is 43gb. I have now managed to shrink the LOG file, thanks to your instructions and it went down to 100mb.

I did not have the room to backup the ldf file (137gb) so I just went for it as it is backed up by AVAMAR.

All seems fine. The guys using SolarWinds are grateful and I am relieved, so once again thanks for your help.

• Please read through this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/64582/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • aa.nichol (2/25/2011)

The DB is 43gb. I have now managed to shrink the LOG file, thanks to your instructions and it went down to 100mb.

I did not have the room to backup the ldf file (137gb) so I just went for it as it is backed up by AVAMAR.

All seems fine. The guys using SolarWinds are grateful and I am relieved, so once again thanks for your help.

Before you go... it sounds like AVAMAR needs to be configured to do a BACKUP LOG statement as well as BACKUP DATABASE. Talk to your sysadmins and get that corrected, or you'll have the same problem in a little while.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• strange a monitoring company doesn't manage their db and db logs.

Please read the article Gail pointed to. It will clarify our concerns.

In many cases, people think they don't need PIT recoverability, until their db gets corrupt. Be it by HW errors, SW errors or human flaws.

Work out a decent DRP for your db, instance and db server.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply