SQL 2005 to SQL 2005 Express

• I need to replicate 24 databases using Transactional Publications from SQL 2005 to SQL Express 2005.

I began setting them up and I got through about 8 databases successfully. When I started to create the publication for database 9 I noticied that the snapshot agent stats was running. After letting it run an hour the duration still shows 00:00.

After a little investigation I found out that the Snapshot agent was not really starting. I attempted the following to resolve the issue.

I stopped and started the snapshot agent.

I made sure that the username and password was correct.

I made sure the username and password was setup with appropriate rights on both sides.

I tried using a SQL username and password.

I tried deleting the publication and recreating it.

I tried stopping the SQL Agent Serivce and starting it.

I made sure all of the other database publishers were stopped

The system is not being accessed heavily.

The databases are less then 50 MB in size.

I adjusted the replication schedule to only update once a week.

Error messages:

The replication agent has not logged a progress message in 10 minutes. This might indicate an unresponsive agent or high system activity. Verify that records are being replicated to the destination and that connections to the Subscriber, Publisher, and Distributor are still active.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

• A shot in the dark here, but maybe its because its the 9th one. Can you delete one of the ones that work and try this one. I am curious to see if this one works then. If it does, then put the one back that worked previously, if it doesn't work, then you know its something to do with the number of replication subscribers. Maybe some limit for the free sql version. With MSDE i know they throttled the connections at 8. Maybe they did something silly with replication on the 2005 express version.

Jimmy

"I'm still learning the things i thought i knew!"
  • I think I figured it out. The Log Reader Agent runs continuously on these jobs. However when the replication job runs it executes the log reader agent. Basically I had the jobs running at the same time with the same credentials on the same database. It caused the job to lock up.

To resolve this I simply disabled the Log Reader Agent "Job" on each publication. Since the Log Reader Agent runs anyway before synchronization takes place it still checks the distribution database.

I then scheduled my replication so that none of the jobs start at the same time. I spaced them out by 5 minutes. Now I my replication is running great!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply