SQL 2005 Service Pack Updates

• Hi All,

I have been tasked with Planning some Service Pack Updates on our SQL Servers.

I have 2 servers.

1st is LIVE - Version = 9.00.3054.00

2nd is Reporting - Version = 9.00.3282.00

the 1st is in replication to the 2nd.

What I need to know is can I update the 2nd without touching the 1st?

The 1st is the backbone of our LIVE system so idealy we want to leave that alone, but there are some issues with the 2nd for reporting services that I have been advised is fixed in a service pack post SP2.

Regards
    ld

Stoke-on-Trent
    United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.

• You should be fine updating the subscriber (reporting instance) and leaving the publisher (live) alone. You are running a newer build on the reporting instance already so that makes it a more comfortable move.

I would recommend applying SQL 2005 SP4, then the latest post-SP4 cumulative update, CU3, plus any other post-CU3 hotfixes and QFEs you think you need to address open issues:

The SQL Server 2005 builds that were released after SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4 was released

If memory serves, SP4 cannot be uninstalled so make sure you have backups and all binaries to get back to the current build before getting started.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thank you 🙂

Regards
    ld

Stoke-on-Trent
    United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, go to the pub and drink away your current thought plan.

• You're welcome 🙂

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply