SQL 2005 on vista Ultimate?

• Why won't SQL 2005 Standard Edition install on my Vista Ultimate laptop? When I try to install it, the option to install the server components is grayed out, and I get a warning about a known compatibility issue with Vista, and that I need to install SP2 after installing SQL, but it won't install anything but Books Online...not even SQL Management Stiudio!! What gives??

- Matt

• I don't know why the client won't install, but the server components are grayed out because Standard Edition requires a server level operating system.

Greg

• It would be nice if someone figured this out, I also could not get it to install. I just figured SS2K5 came out before Vista and therefore with Vista's (compatability/UAC/manifest/etc...) issues it just does not run on that OS. However, I am able to install the SS2K8 CTP. So at least they resolved their issues in the new version. They just have not rebuilt a SS2K5 install that works on Vista. Maybe they will grace us with R2...

• Greg Charles (1/23/2008)

I don't know why the client won't install, but the server components are grayed out because Standard Edition requires a server level operating system.

Actually - the standard edition specifically mentions XP pro, Windwos 2000 pro, and the readme mentions Vista. So - that's not exactly true. It runs BETTER on a server OS, but it's not required....

Have you tried disabling the User Access Control first? Also - there is an issue if there are some missing IIS tools. Finally - there's something bizarre about mixed-case machine names preventing the installation from finishing. Still - it IS possible to get it installed.

I've definitely managed to get the client options installed. *I actually had the option to install the entire thing, but I didn't want the server components installed).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Actually - the standard edition specifically mentions XP pro, Windwos 2000 pro, and the readme mentions Vista. So - that's not exactly true. It runs BETTER on a server OS, but it's not required....

Huh. You're right. I just tried installing on XP pro and it worked. I guess I was remembering how SQL 2000 wouldn't install on my PC. Thanks!

Greg

• Read this post here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1722634&SiteID=1

it says:

"Although you are logged in as an Administrator, in Windows Vista, due to enhanced security features, you need to run the setup or management studio as an administrator. Just right click the short-cut and say "Run As Administrator"

It may solve the problem.

Mayur Tendulkar

Microsoft Student Partner "

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• yaa mayur is right. i done that way and solved the problem

thanks mayur..

thx

sreejith

MCAD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply