SQL 2005 Maximum Datafile size error - database has space!

• SQL Server 2005 SP 3 on Windows Server 2003 R2

Only one database (mirrored) running on SQL Instance. The size of the database is 300GB. Am receiving the following error:

"Maximum Datafile size has been reached for Database: gsdp069a. Please increase the data files size urgently."

"Error: 50069, Severity: 16, State: 1."

On checking the database it has 25% of freespace so I am not sure why it is showing as a critical level. The structure of the db is as follows:

namefileidfilenamefilegroupsizemaxsizegrowthusage

gsdp069a1Z:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\gsdp069a.mdfPRIMARY138240000 KBUnlimited0 KBdata only

gsdp069a_log2Z:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\gsdp069a_log.ldfNULL13938560 KB2147483648 KB10%log only

gsdp069a_0023Z:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\gsdp069a_002.ndfPRIMARY87040000 KBUnlimited0 KBdata only

gsdp069a_0034Z:\SQL Data\gsdp069a_003.ndfPRIMARY81920000 KBUnlimited0 KBdata only

Primary datafile has 10% freespace

2nd .ndf file has 20% freespace

3rd .ndf has 71% freespace (this was added after error was spotted)

Company SQL Server build standards don't allow any autogrowth. As mentioned this db is mirrored and on the mirror instance there is no error, which is odd as the db is exactly the same structure and size. I have tried adding autogrowth/updating stats, no joy. Restarting SQL Server service also did not work.

Even added another 80GB file (3rd datafile) which still has 71% freespace, no luck. As it stands the instance isn't being overloaded and is working tip-top. Just this damn max datafile size error. :unsure:

Any ideas?

TIA

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • This looks tricky.

Just to be on safe side check the data file sizes of msdb and tempdb databases and make adjustments if necessary!

Pavan.

• Tempdb datafile is 10GB in size with 99% freespace

Master datafile was only 33MB and 1% of freespace remaining so I have increased this to 100MB now 66% freespace

I am still receiving the same error as mention in OP - but worth a try. 😉

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • That looks like a user-defined error message.

How are you being alerted of this message?

Maybe there's a monitoring script that has faulty logic in it.

• I was going to mention something similar. Messages above 50,000 are custom messages added to sys.messages manually (via the sp_addmessage)

There must be some custom process running that gives that message.

• It was a damn legacy SQL Alert that should have been turned off months ago - always the last place you look. 😀

Remove/turn off alert - problem solved. 😎

Cheers all,

qh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply