SQL 2005 inplace upgrade

• Hello Gurus

We are upgrading SQL 2005 32 bit to 64 bit SQL Server 2005. I am kind of new to this. can you help me out with how and what steps do I need to follow. I learnt that during upgradation the SSIS pacakges migration might be an issue? can you please throw some light and guide me in a correct direction.

Will be waiting for your replies

Thank you very much

Ali

• Of course moving to 64 Bit brings problems with SSIS with respect to 64 Bit drivers for all the Data Sources your SSIS Packages are using.

Also my suggestion is consider your application downtime when performing In Place upgrade, since any issues will make you start from scratch, i.e your previous SQL System may not work and the newer Version may not work, resulting you uninstall everything and start installing the previous version (32 Bit). Do you have a game plan for this?

I would suggest testing the applications, SSIS packages on a separate system with 64 Bit SQL installed, a side-by-side upgrade.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I would second Bru's advice to use a second system for testing, but since you could easily miss something in test, I'd also recommend a side-by-side upgrade for the real server. It's much safer and since you really need test hardware, you could easily move the existing system to test once you've upgraded.

• Bru Medishetty (12/6/2009)

Of course moving to 64 Bit brings problems with SSIS with respect to 64 Bit drivers for all the Data Sources your SSIS Packages are using.

Also my suggestion is consider your application downtime when performing In Place upgrade, since any issues will make you start from scratch, i.e your previous SQL System may not work and the newer Version may not work, resulting you uninstall everything and start installing the previous version (32 Bit). Do you have a game plan for this?

I would suggest testing the applications, SSIS packages on a separate system with 64 Bit SQL installed, a side-by-side upgrade.

I am pushing my team to perform the test first and then do it on the production box. Also, do you suggest me to do a inplace test or side- by - side test.

If the data sources of the ssis packages are not migrating, is there any work around for this issue? or do we need to have an exclusive 32 bit environment to implement those packages in production?

• I would always go with a side by side upgradation.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I am sorry I missed answering the 64 bit part of the question.

There is a property called Run64BitRuntime, which can be set to false when deploying SSIS packages, which might help solving the 64 bit runtime issues. That is where test systems comes in handy. You never know..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• If you install 32 bit ODBC client applications on the server, or any 64 bit machine, you must use the 32 bit ODBC Administrator (%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) to setup your DSN. You won't find it on the Start menu, but you should probably put it there and rename it so you'll know that it uses the 32 bit ODBC Drivers.

See:

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply