SQL 2005 Default Trace

• I have a job which monitors the default trace file and alerts me to database creations/deletions/restores.

This works fine on most of our servers but on one it doesn't.

select * from sys.configurations where configuration_id = 1568

shows that the default trace is running but

select * from ::fn_trace_getinfo(0)

returns 0 records and there is no sign of a log.trc anywhere on the file system.

Does anyone know why the default trace would not be running or how to get it working?

Thanks

• Have you checked the default log file location where these files get created? Also, run select * from sys.traces and see under the path dispalyed in output of above query(path column).

MJ

• The default trace has a trace id of 1 not 0. That is why you get no data from fn_trace_getinfo.

Manu is right check the path to the trace files. If the SQL Server was not installed using defaults or is a named instance it may be in a different location. How are you querying the trace files?

This is how I query trace files:

sys.traces T CROSS Apply

::fn_trace_gettable(T.path, T.max_files)

• If you've installed sP2 and have the reports, the "Schema Changes History" is a visual version of that function as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• MANU (10/6/2008)

Have you checked the default log file location where these files get created? Also, run select * from sys.traces and see under the path dispalyed in output of above query(path column).

MJ

Yes, checked the default log locations, no sign of log.trc.

SELECT * FROM SYS.TRACES returns 0 records.

I also tried the schema changes default report but this returns this error:

Unable to retrieve data for this section of the report. Following error occurred. Msg 567, Level 16, State 5 File '' either does not exist or is not a recognizable trace file. Or there was an error opening the file.

• how are you creating\starting the trace?

is it a server side trace?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• planetmatt (10/7/2008)

MANU (10/6/2008)

Have you checked the default log file location where these files get created? Also, run select * from sys.traces and see under the path dispalyed in output of above query(path column).

MJ

Yes, checked the default log locations, no sign of log.trc.

SELECT * FROM SYS.TRACES returns 0 records.

I also tried the schema changes default report but this returns this error:

Unable to retrieve data for this section of the report. Following error occurred. Msg 567, Level 16, State 5 File '' either does not exist or is not a recognizable trace file. Or there was an error opening the file.

For some reason the default trace was removed from this server. You would need to re-create the trace. I would guess that there is a script available that will re-create this trace for you.

• This thread help me out today since I had the same problem as Matt.

If it's any help to someone else, restarting the SQL Server instance was enough to get the default trace running again.

The server had recently run out of disk space (the DBAs don't monitor dev servers as closely as prod). We're speculating that the trace shut off then and didn't start again until the instance was started.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply