SQL 2005 backup maintenance plans failing

• I have created maintenance plans that have one subplan to backup the database including steps to remove history and maintenance to remove old backups and another subplan to backup the transaction log also including steps to remove history and old backups.

All of these plans do the work successfully but report that the job fails.  I have not been able to find any posts anywhere that describe a solution to this problem. 

The problem is identical on two new servers one used for development and one for production.

The job history message is ....

Executed as user: HC_ACCT\CLARINET_SQL. ...00.3042.00 for 32-bit  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved.    Started:  5:30:00 AM  Error: 2007-07-26 05:30:00.37     Code: 0xC0024104     Source: Reporting Task for subplan-{3E9A8D36-C623-472D-91D4-4437B0804E8C}      Description: The Execute method on the task returned error code 0x80131904 (Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.). The Execute method must succeed, and indicate the result using an "out" parameter.  End Error  Warning: 2007-07-26 05:30:00.37     Code: 0x80019002     Source: JSJS04      Description: SSIS Warning Code DTS_W_MAXIMUMERRORCOUNTREACHED.  The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (2) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors.  End Warning  Progress: 2007-07-2...  The package execution fa...  The step failed.

• Microsoft tech support recommended applying the latest hotfix to resolve the problem.  After the hotfix was applied the problem continued until I deleted the maintenance plan and recreated it.  After the hotfix and recreation of the maintenance plan the backup job ran successfully.

• I'm having this same problem. Did you try deleting and recreating the plan before you applied the hotfix? I'm wondering if the hotfix had anything to do with it or not. If so and the hotfix did have something to do with it could you point me to the hotfix please?

• Yes.  This problem involved several maintenance plans, same problem on all of them.  I did find that the problem did not occur when setting up the plan for multiple databases in one plan even before applying the hotfix.  We have a premier support contract with Microsoft and I had to work through their tech support staff to aquire the hotfix.

• im4718 (9/13/2007)

Yes. This problem involved several maintenance plans, same problem on all of them. I did find that the problem did not occur when setting up the plan for multiple databases in one plan even before applying the hotfix. We have a premier support contract with Microsoft and I had to work through their tech support staff to aquire the hotfix.

Please clarify,

What version and build are you running? What did the hot fix correct?

Thx

• I applied SQL 2005 hotfix pack 3 which brought the Version number to 9.0.3186. The hotfix cured the problem described in the first post.

• Thanks...which SQL bug number did it address?

ref. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939537

• For what it's worth I just experienced the same issue. The problem started after I edited the maintenance plan and I have 2 theories as to what might have caused it:

1. the owner of the actual maintenance plan (as per msdb.dbo.sysmaintplan_plans) is a disabled user.

2. the maintenance plan was created prior to SP2 and modified after SP2 (currently 9.0.3042).

Either way, the issue was resolved by deleting the maintenance plan and recreating from scratch, without applying any hotfixes.

HTH

• Hi,

I beleive SQL 2005 version 9.00.3042 will resolve the issue. I had the same issue when I used and that time I had 9.00.2047 version of SQL 2005. I upgraded and it resolved my bugs.

Manoj

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• Hi

I have had a similar error and mine was not due to version - but maybe versions above 3042 may correct your problem.

What happened to me was that in one instance we moved a database to another server and the Maint Plan still referenced this old database (re-create or edit the maint plan)

The other instance was similar - a database was changed from FULL RECOVERY to simple - hence the log backup could not be done - but the backups were 100%

The final scenario, but unlikely is that a database has not yet have a backup and its first log backup (I doubt this in your case - but others with similar errors may want to try this)

Thanks

Kevin

• I do not belive that 3042 resolves the issue because I am running sp2 for sql server 2005. I have build this server from scratch and did not restore anything from sql server 2000 (Which some articles reference meta data services that execute 2000 packages.)

I had created a maintenance plan for this server and it was working find until I came across this error message in the sql agent logs. Now I cant seem to make it work. I will try deleting and re-creating the plan.

MY error is the following:

Date5/23/2008 7:22:12 PM

LogJob History (USER DB BACKUPS)

Step ID1

ServerWHDWISQL1

Job NameUSER DB BACKUPS

Step NameSubplan

Duration00:00:05

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: SUNAMERICA-LA\ . ...9CA-9E55-08776F34B917} Execute SQL Task Description: Connection manager "{660F32B6-127D-481E-BBB5-7FD7098FD27B}" does not exist. End Error Error: 2008-05-23 19:22:16.45 Code: 0xC0024107 Source: {9ABD8A04-D20B-49CA-9E55-08776F34B917} Description: There were errors during task validation. End Error Warning: 2008-05-23 19:22:16.45 Code: 0x80019002 Source: OnPreExecute Description: SSIS Warning Code DTS_W_MAXIMUMERRORCOUNTREACHED. The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (3) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors. End Warning Warning: 2008-05-23 19:22:16.45 Code: 0x80019002 Source: Subplan Description: SSIS Warning Code DTS_W_MAXIMUMERRORCOUNTREACHED. The Execution method succeeded, but the num... The package execution fa... The step failed.

• You can say it's a Microsoft bug. Sometimes we have seen Some MP's or Job will created and it wont run properly. In that case make sure you have to do some extra steps.

1) First, You need to refresh the MP's after creating the MP's.

2) Change the owner of the Job.

3) Refresh again the Jobs

4) Refresh server.

If Job will not run properly. You may need to check all the parameters properly. Make sure scheduled job time.

If still it gives an error, the only way is to delete the MP from the server, refresh the server and then try to recreate it, now it will work properly.

Why I said it is microsoft bug, because you change some proerty of the server or database or any thing you have to refresh the server/database, restart the SQL services or restart the system.

Any change require to reboot the system, that is required.

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• hi ,

SP3 is released and now available. whether will it resolve the issue.? can you try it...

• still when sp3

• In my case the MP backup runs successfully; however, the SQL Agent job notes the error... Execute method on the task returned error code 0x80131904...

In many cases the Maintenance Plans have bugged out on me after editing (too many specific cases to mention).

Which brings me to this question, should I be developing my backup and maintenance plans via BIDS and then creating my own jobs?

Does the "Maintenance Plan" functionality offer something different than what can be had via BIDS?

Do they both rely on the same infrastrcuture?

Do they both yield the same TSQL?

Hmmm.....

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply