SQL 2000 Upgrade

• I have four servers running SQL 7.0 sp3. I want to upgrade one database from one of the servers to SQL 2000. Can i simply backup on the 7.0 box and restore to the 2000 server? I know when I went from 6.5 to 7.0, I used the wizard and it started and stopped the services between the 2 as needed. Any recommendations for the easiest way to accomplish this task?

Terry

Terry

• It worked for me that way. You just have to make sure you use the same collation when installing the SQL Server 2000. Then you have less problems with the backup and restore.

First time I had an error because we had setup 7.0 to use accent-insensitive and on the new SQL Server 2000 box we had accent-sensitive in the sort order. The restore then bummed out with an error message.

Re-installed SQL Server 2000 with the same collation and it worked fine.

You might be able to use the Database Copy Wizard with the optione 'Use Collation' to circumvent this issue, but I'm not really sure about that. Maybe someone can give feedback on that issue.

Cheers and good luck

Searching the KB articles is like

picking your nose. You never know

what you'll find.

• Or you can just detach/copy/attach on the other server, though then you have to adjust the logins yourself - CDW does part of it.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply