SQL 2000 to SQL 2005: Where have all the old features gone?

• John, I was talking about connecting to sql 2000, in which case sys tables are still there. U r right, in 2005 you'd want to use DMVs.

Just to nitpick a bit (it was a nice article), but last I heard the systables are being depricated, as well, in favor of the system views. As such you would want to do away with the calls to sysobjects:

SELECT name FROM sysobjects

should be

SELECT name FROM sys.objects

and

Select crdate as DateCreated

From dbo.sysobjects

should be

Select create_date as DateCreated

From sys.objects

• I'm the gui one, will benifit from it the most I guess

• Nice article.

External tools also don't work the same in sql2k5.  Managing 100+ sql server environments, using the [SRV] parameter in enterprise manager's external tools is handy for accessing explorer, server manager & event viewers on current sql server environments.  Even though sql2005 books online says it works the same, it doesn't work in management studio.

Polling is controllable in sql 2k enterprise manager, but no control in sql2k5 management studio.  With several DBAs having management studio open with 100+ servers registered = a lot of clutter in security event logs, unneccessary network traffic & overhead on workstations.

• Has anybody found an easy way to migrate registered servers between 2K and 2005 ? - i have a couple of hundred servers plus groups and i am not looking forward to setting them up by hand...

• This is easy.

Open the Registered Servers window in SSMS

Right-click on "Database Engine" and choose "Previously Registered Servers"

It will ask you some questions and pull in any SEM registered servers you have on the same computer.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• If this really were true then most of the backwards compatiblity would be gone. You can connect to SQL 2000 servers using SSMS and, by and large, manage them pretty well. If this were a new product that wouldn't exist.

Then again, Microsoft would lose a lot of marketshare if they did that.

Yes, it is a new product but part of me believes the team for SQL2005 made some design decisions in a vacuum.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• I couldn't find a way to right click on a database, back it up and in the same time schedule that backup. It helped me a lot in 2k to schedule databases backup.

• I miss the ability to play a given .wav file when a query finishes.  In SSMS we only have the option to play the Windows default beep.

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/

• Very interesting subject.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I am wondering what happened to the feature that you could select multiple objects to script and select the output to one file per object.

2. When I choose windows ANSI format in sql2k, comments in greek were scripted OK. In SSMS are not.

Is there any fix?

• Very interesting article.  

I too miss the ability to copy stored procedures!  One has to wonder if they simply forgot about it . . .

I am somewhat surprised no one is mentioning how screwed up Diagrams are.  Why didn't they just leave them alone???

To the person complaining about 2005 being too slow -- I put more memory in one of my PCs and that perked it up a bit.

• Well intended, but remember we're...we're not supposed to query those good old sys tables anymore (sysfiles)!  There's another sys. view that replaced that, but I'll have to find that and post again.

• Given that SSMS is a rework of the Visual Studio, why oh why did MS turn off all the good stuff? Specifically, all the Addin and extensibility bits. If they had left this in then, as a community, I am sure we could put all the "missing features" back in.

RedGate seem to have hacked addins into SSMS so perhaps there is hope for us yet...

• It is in SSMS Express that Microsoft took out the addins and extensibility. One can only guess that Microsoft saw it as an easy way of differentiating the two products, in the hope that you'll want to upgrade. It makes it  more awkward for any provider of Add-ins like SQL Refactorer because of the need to explain to customers, and those trying them out, why the product won't work on certain versions of SSMS.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Where have all the new articles gone?

It's a good article and an interesting subject....but it's a repeat!

Also, since its original publication, we've had SP2, so some of the comments (notably about scripting) are no longer valid.

Shouldn't this be in the One Year Ago section?  (Or is it too old for that?)

• I have a list of complaints about Mgt. Studio vs. Ent. Manager, ones that people have not addressed...

Can no longer grant a user access to a list of tables in one GUI screen. Each table grant is a seperate task.

I really miss taskpad. I liked the mdf/ldf allocated and used in your face so you can see what part of the logspace is being used and not used.

Simple easy naviation is gone.

Query tool install as a stanalone product. Some developers only need to query a table from time to time. Why do I have to install ALL of this bulky stuff and give them a lesson on how to simply log in and be able to run one select statement. Why can't I simply install a Query Analyzer on a persons PC that only needs to run a query once in a while. We have tons of these type situations here.

Why is using the import / export wizard to simply move data from a table so bulky. After the package is created it is not easily viewable and understandable what that package does.

Granted, there are some improvements in Mgt. Studio, however, I have never see so many features removed for a product upgrade.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply