SQL 2000 SP 2 and sendmail

• There is a problem with xp_sendmail in SQL 2000 Sp2 that manifests itself when the SQL Server is heavily loaded.

We use SQL Agent for generating and sending reports with xp_sendmail. We have noticed that at time when the SQL Server is processing a lot there will be a failure of xp_sendmail. This failure appears not to release threads for other jobs to use. Users can continure to work but the SQL Agent stops executing anything that is waiting for a thread.

I am working on a solution with Microsoft. Will advise when we have a work around.

• Working on a similar issue as well. Hopefully we can arrive at the same solution at the same time as this is getting old. See the following post;

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=2348

Nice to know that I am not alone.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• We were advised by Microsoft to revert to the SP1 version of the SQLMAP70.DLL.

This fixed the problem.

Of course you should keep a backup of any DLL you want to swap.

• Just to make this nice and clean the solution they provided for Neil worked for me as well. See the post that is referenced in my previous post for more details. Thanks Neil.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply