SQL 2000 Install

• I need to install SQL 2000 on a VM that already has 3 instances of SQl 2008 R2 installed.

Something in the back of my head tells me from experience that this is not possible.

I would need to have installed the oldest version first ie SQL 2000, then the 2008 instances.

I’m sure I had this issue some time ago. But I have slept many times since.

Again I get that nagging feeling telling me it’s not possible.

• Not sure that's true. I think 2000 supported named instances like the others. Don't see a restriction here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa176582%28v=sql.80%29.aspx

I might be wrong, but I'd think it would work.

• Sorry Steve I think you misunderstood the question.

I have used SQL 2000 many a time as a named instance.

As I haven't worked with SQL 2000 for about 3 years now.

My question is does it (SQL 2000) install on a machine that is already running SQL 2008.

I think I remember having a problem installing an older version of SQL on a server that was already running a more recent version.

And then again I might be talking BALLS.

• I understood you, but probably didn't explain myself well.

I think that you can install SS2K as an instance on a machine with SS2K8 already as a default or named instance. This seems to back me up (last comment): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/27ec16ff-3f53-40cf-b51a-c48338d5caa9/installing-sql-server-2000-and-sql-server-2008-on-same-machine

I know there were some issues with default installs, and I think that if you had 2005, you couldn't install ss2K as a default, or perhaps vice versa. However I think you're fine.

Note that you might get OS warnings/issues, depending on what you have. I think I've installed SS2K on Win7, but not positive.

• Thanks Steve.

Tested, JUST FOR INFO.

SQL 2000 installed fine, but with remote connection issues.

Checked the usual

Browser Service running

Permissions

TCP\IP enable

Port enabled in Firewall

SP4 installed server rebooted.

Still no remote connection.

This is all due to SQL 2008 already being installed.

Solution

server\instancename,port needed to connect remotely.

Also read that it is not advisable to run SQL 2000 on a machine which is running Windows 2008 especially x64 bit.

Information obtained from this website in another post.

What a great site.

Putting all of this together, I will not be going live with this.

Thanks again.

• good to hear. Do you mean the SQL Browser won't find the SQL 2K port if you connect to the named instances?

• It looks that way. It's a no go for me due to the connection issues and the fact I'm running on Windows 2008 R2 x64 bit which it is advised not to use with SQL 2000.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply