sql 2000 Enterprise RTM upgrade to 3a

• Hi,

We plan to upgrade existing sql server enterprise 2000 RTM to SP3a(Chinese Traditional). Since we want to keep all the data after upgrading, can we use the original database backup(RTM) and restore to new version(Sp3a) without any error?

P.S: The RTM database backup have only basic item such as table, storeproc, index, without any replication items.

Thanks and regards,

Wallace

• the upgrade process will upgrade your user database as well.

You will be able to restore your RTM backup post the upgrade. As long as its the same version of SQL (i.e. SQL2000) it will restore. Only the system databases have to be the exact same release level.

By the way, there is a SP4 for SQL2000, any reason you cannot use that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (10/21/2010)

Only the system databases have to be the exact same release level.

Do I need to backup and restore those system databases(master, msdb, model, tempdb etc) when I upgrade from RTM to SP3a? or only backup and restore our user database is enough?

Thanks and regards,

Wallace

• backup all of them. (except tempdb - this cannot be backed, it is recreated on each sql restart)

there is no need to restore any databases after an upgrade.

• george sibbald (10/21/2010)

backup all of them. (except tempdb - this cannot be backed, it is recreated on each sql restart)

there is no need to restore any databases after an upgrade.

If I need to backup all system databases so is there any case that need to restore old system database after upgrade? Is there any purpose that I need to backup those system databases as well?

Thanks and regards,

Wallace

• the backups are only taken just in case you need to back the upgrade out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply