SQL 2000 and Setting up SQL Mail

• I'm trying to setup up SQL Mail on a hosted server that is in a workgroup and not a domain. I want to be able to send mail from a stored procedure. I have Mail Enable up and running (It's a mail server). Any ideas on how I can get SQL mail configured? I don't want use Exchange, I want to use internet mail.

Edited by - etgibbs on 04/09/2003 2:13:46 PM

• I'd check out these articles:

MSKB 281208 and 327000.

Exchange 5.5 or 2000 needs to send messages as "itself", meaning the nt's mailbox name.

I encountered this problem when I started using SQL2K RTM/SP1/SP2 with OL2KSR1

• quote:

I'm trying to setup up SQL Mail on a hosted server that is in a workgroup and not a domain. I want to be able to send mail from a stored procedure. I have Mail Enable up and running (It's a mail server). Any ideas on how I can get SQL mail configured? I don't want use Exchange, I want to use internet mail.

Edited by - etgibbs on 04/09/2003 2:13:46 PM

The configuration to use Internet Mail as your mail vehicle does come with 1 severe caveat: in tests I've done, the server needs to be logged onto and running Outlook (I dunno about any other MAPI-compliant software would also work tho) and the "send/receive" option set at a frequent pace (U decide on the frequency), otherwise, your e-mails will just sit there looking pretty. The MAPI profile will appear in the SEM SQLMail properties drop-down list (and SQL Server Agent). It does work, but is it what U want....

• I don't know whether this is worthwhile information but here it is anyways.

I've had problems with SQL Server whenever Exchange servers hosting the SQL mailboxes (we use several nt accounts /mailboxes) are worked on (services stopped and re-started, I have to re-establish connectivity between SQL and Exchange once with xp_sendmail (for the MSSQLServe service) and another for SQLServerAgent service by tesing an operator (it fails on the first try but succeeds on the second). I haven't had real problems if I re-establish connectivity ASAP.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply