sql 2000 and 2005 on same cluster

• If you are running SQL 2000 and 2005 I would like to find out your experience so far. We are planning to put SQL 2005 (with analysis services and reporting services) on the same cluster as SQL 2000 (with analysis services).

Have you run into significant road blocks?

Anything that microsoft hasnt covered in it documentation?

or anything else you can think of.

Thanks

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• When you run 2000 and 2005 on same cluster and that too with analysis and reporting services

I will not suggest you to go for it as I see following issues down the road. 

High impact on I/O performance. Read/Write operation of all activity from one cluster.

Fault tolerance, if that cluster fails, everything fails.

Memory allocation issues.

This are all possible, probably initially this will run fine, if you do not have enough work load and have server with higher configuration than your current requirements.

Kindest Regards,

Sameer Raval [Sql Server DBA]
    Geico Insurance
    RavalSameer@hotmail.com

• My research so far suggests that it "should" work fine.

We will be implementing this within the next 2 weeks.

2005 must be in a different resource group than 2000 with it's own disk, name, ip etc.  Our intention is to run it in an Active/Active role so impact on I/O should be negated and should one cluster member fail, the other member will host both installations.  As long as your hardware can support the combined load, at least short term, it should work.

I'll try to come back and update when we are done.

• One issue that you'll probably encounter is that when you uninstall 2005, SQL 2000 won't work anymore since SQL 2005 will replace SQL 2000 binaries.  That's what I encountered so far putting SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 together in one box.

• I'm really curious for your experiences.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply