SQL 2000 32 bit on 64 Hardware Platform

• Hi Guys ....

Can some-one please direct me to some usefull documentation or a usefull discussions\articles around the benefits when SQL 2000 32 bit is installed on a 64 Bit hardware platform .

Obviously SQL 32 bit will not have the true 64 Bit version's DB engine but surely there must be some massive improvements - I am looking for a techinical doc that explains this and some faq's

Thanks

Wynand

• I don't know of any links right off hand, but I would certainly NOT expect there to be "massive" improvements.  Most of the improvements that you might expect from having improved hardware will be eaten up by having to run in a "simulation" mode. 

The biggest single benefit of 64bit platforms is the huge increase in addressable memory, and a 32 bit application will not be able to take advantage of that, no matter what.

Lastly, I can't think of a single reason not to run the 64bit version of SQL, it doesn't cost any more than the 32 bit version, so you are largely wasting your money on hardware that won't be properly utilized if you don't.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply