SPN and CAP

• Hi,

Can kerberos be used against a Client Access Point in a SQL Server cluster? I registered SPN's for the SQL Server service account using setspn, but the authentication scheme is still showing NTLM.

thanks,

Andy

• adb2303 (7/10/2012)

Hi,

Can kerberos be used against a Client Access Point in a SQL Server cluster? I registered SPN's for the SQL Server service account using setspn, but the authentication scheme is still showing NTLM.

thanks,

Andy

yes you do register SPNs for the virtual network name or client access point, what was the exact SPN command you used?

Do any connections show Kerberos for the authentication scheme?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi,

The CAP is called MIRRORSERVER. I can connect to MIRRORSERVER\INSTANCE1 via SSMS, but when I run: select auth_scheme from sys.dm_exec_connections where session_id = @@spid, it comes back NTLM. If I connect to the main virtual server name, i.e. SQLCLUSTER1\INSTANCE1 via SSMS and run the same query, I get kerberos back.

I used:

setspn -A MSSQLSvc/MIRRORSERVER.it.palm.co.uk:49611 palm\sqlservice

setspn -A MSSQLSvc/MIRRORSERVER.it.palm.co.uk:INSTANCE1 palm\sqlservice

If I run setspn -L palm\sqlservice, I can see the SPNs with the exact same format as other working SPNs.

MSSQLSvc/MIRRORSERVER.it.palm.co.uk:49611 --not working CAP

MSSQLSvc/MIRRORSERVER.it.palm.co.uk:INSTANCE1 --not working CAP

MSSQLSvc/SQLCLUSTER1.it.palm.co.uk:49611 --working

MSSQLSvc/SQLCLUSTER1.it.palm.co.uk:INSTANCE1 --working

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Andy

• what is the vritual network name for the clustered instance you are trying to connect to?

(i.e. the one provisoned in the clustered application group in Failover cluster manager)

A client acces point in Windows 2008 clusters merely represents a unique IP and virtual network name to be used for connecting to the clustered application.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply