Splitting data files caused performance issue

• Hi All,

We have a database about 500 GB , we thought of splitting the data files on different physical hard disks to improve performance.
    The steps we did were:
    1. Shrink the entire database.
    2.Create a new file group on a different physical hard disk.
    3.Restrict file size for original data file.
    4.For the new file we set autogrowth to true.

Since we did that we had a performance issue with one of the tables specially with inserts and updates, we kept rebuilding the indexes on that table many times during the day, after rebuild things go back to normal but after some time the performance degrades again.
    My first thought is that data and index pages are scattered between the 2 files as opposed to one file in the older setup but not sure if that's the reason or not.
    So please give suggestions on how to detect the reason for this issue and how to solve it.
    Thank you
    Nader

• nadersam - Sunday, November 18, 2018 5:19 AM

Hi All,

We have a database about 500 GB , we thought of splitting the data files on different physical hard disks to improve performance.
    The steps we did were:

Since we did that we had a performance issue with one of the tables specially with inserts and updates, we kept rebuilding the indexes on that table many times during the day, after rebuild things go back to normal but after some time the performance degrades again.
    My first thought is that data and index pages are scattered between the 2 files as opposed to one file in the older setup but not sure if that's the reason or not.
    So please give suggestions on how to detect the reason for this issue and how to solve it.
    Thank you
    Nader

When you shrink a database you will fragment the tables and indexes. You should rebuild all the indexes on the table you are having issues with.

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:28 AM

nadersam - Sunday, November 18, 2018 5:19 AM

Hi All,

The steps we did were:

Thank you
    Nader

When you shrink a database you will fragment the tables and indexes. You should rebuild all the indexes on the table you are having issues with.

After shrinking data files of this size, reviving performance is like reviving a frog out of the blender:exclamation:
    😎

• I do think you took the wrong approach there unless you didn't tell us of further steps that would normally be required.
    But by your list of steps I do not believe any further steps were taken.

When there is proof that adding a new filegroup is what will sort out the performance what is normally done is to move some of the required tables onto the new filegroup and only then, and if absolutely required, shrink the original data file - may not be required at all and should be avoided.

• 2 or more heavily IO based tables

AND one or both of 

• IO on datafile near or at max through-output possible for the disks 
    • IO on datafile near or at max through-output possible for the disk controller

And your code/indexes is already tuned to the maximum - many times heavy IO is due to bad coding alone and this should be addressed in the first instance.

If you did indeed do due diligence and have identified the above then moving some tables to another file would be a possible solution.

The way to do it then would be

• create new filegroup on a different controller and drive
    • move required tables to new filegroup (alter/create index rebuild on new filegroup - possibly place both table and associated indexes on same FG for ease of maintenance)
    • If space now freed on the original FG is quite significant and will not be reused within 1-2 years then shrink - but if this is done then all indexes on that FG should be rebuilt to address the fragmentation that shrink causes.

Note that if the IO issue was due to max load on the controller the new disk MUST be on another controller or it will not help in any way.

so at the moment your performance issues are probably related to the shrink step.

And I do hope that you have indeed created a new filegroup, not just added a new file to the existing filegroup - this again may not be the best option

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:53 AM

Jonathan AC Roberts - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:28 AM

Hi All,

The steps we did were:

Thank you
    Nader

After shrinking data files of this size, reviving performance is like reviving a frog out of the blender:exclamation:
    😎

All our databases are on SAN drives and performance doesn't seem to be affected much when files are shrunk. I'm guessing the OP has his files on some other type of drive.

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:07 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:53 AM

Jonathan AC Roberts - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:28 AM

Hi All,

The steps we did were:

Thank you
    Nader

😎

All our databases are on SAN drives and performance doesn't seem to be affected much when files are shrunk. I'm guessing the OP has his files on some other type of drive.

Logical fragmentation matters very little once the data is loaded into memory.  Getting it into memory is a whole 'nuther story".

As you know, doing a shrink file doesn't just cause a lot of fragmentation.  It causes the absolute worst type of fragmentation there is.  That type of fragmentation (to those indexes on which it does occur) in referred to as "Index Inversion".  This is where the physical order of the pages in the file are exactly in the reverse order of the logical order.  Even with SSDs (like what we have at work), it can still have a huge impact on performance because the "Read Aheads" necessary to get the data into memory (if not already there) is limited to usually just one page at a time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Sunday, November 18, 2018 7:28 AM

Hi All,

The steps we did were:

Thank you
    Nader

Thank for your reply , yes we did a full index rebuild after the shrink , sorry for forgetting to mention that, but still we got the performance issue specially with one of the tables.

• Thank you for all replies above, from what i understand the performance issue is related to shrinking the database which we will avoid.
    Now after we did the mentioned step above should we separate some table with high IO to the new filegroup?
    Thanks again.
    Nader

• nadersam - Monday, November 19, 2018 1:31 AM

Thank you for all replies above, from what i understand the performance issue is related to shrinking the database which we will avoid.
    Now after we did the mentioned step above should we separate some table with high IO to the new filegroup?
    Thanks again.
    Nader

Yes, try putting tables that are frequently joined together into separate filegroups.  Another strategy I've seen is to have tables (including clustered indexes) on one filegroup and non-clustered indexes on another.  If you're on a SAN, bear in mind that even by doing this you may not be getting physical separation.  Speak to your storage administrator if you're in any doubt about that.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Monday, November 19, 2018 2:38 AM

nadersam - Monday, November 19, 2018 1:31 AM

Thank you for all replies above, from what i understand the performance issue is related to shrinking the database which we will avoid.
    Thanks again.
    Nader

Yes, try putting tables that are frequently joined together into separate filegroups.  Another strategy I've seen is to have tables (including clustered indexes) on one filegroup and non-clustered indexes on another.  If you're on a SAN, bear in mind that even by doing this you may not be getting physical separation.  Speak to your storage administrator if you're in any doubt about that.

John

Thank you i will keep that in mind.

• nadersam - Monday, November 19, 2018 1:31 AM

Thanks again.
    Nader

No.  You haven't identified WHY the table suffers "High I/O".  You first need to identify the cause and then fix it.  90% of the time it will be poorly written code and 5% of the time it will be a problem with an index.

Also, when you split the file, are you positive that you moved it to a disk that had the same physical performance features?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply