spill to tempdb problem

• zamani 41951 wrote:

Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

zamani 41951 wrote:

Hi

Thanks a lot.

I've run your edited query. but its cost was 51% against last improved query that I sent in my last post. And Logical Read grows up for Table Groups_Roles.

I going to send Execution plan ASAP.

The query I rewrote was your initial query. Is the query I rewrote 51% better or worse? It was really just a starting point for improving the performance. Are there any missing indexes shown in the execution plan?

Hi

It's 51% worse.

Execution plan desn’t exists missing index.

Again, what are you measuring the "51% worse" with?  If you're comparing execution plans, that's NOT a measure of performance... like Grant tried to explain, the Execution Plan is just some math and even the actual execution plan is riddled with estimates instead of actual performance.

The only true measure of performance is how long did the code take to run, how much CPU time did it consume during the run, and what was the I/O during the run?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

zamani 41951 wrote:

zamani 41951 wrote:

Hi

Thanks a lot.

I've run your edited query. but its cost was 51% against last improved query that I sent in my last post. And Logical Read grows up for Table Groups_Roles.

The query I rewrote was your initial query. Is the query I rewrote 51% better or worse? It was really just a starting point for improving the performance. Are there any missing indexes shown in the execution plan?

Hi

It's 51% worse.

Again, what are you measuring the "51% worse" with?  If you're comparing execution plans, that's NOT a measure of performance... like Grant tried to explain, the Execution Plan is just some math and even the actual execution plan is riddled with estimates instead of actual performance.

The only true measure of performance is how long did the code take to run, how much CPU time did it consume during the run, and what was the I/O during the run?

Yes, to get the statistics just add the line

SET STATISTICS IO, TIME ON

at the top of the query then run it in SSMS.

• See if this is an improvement

With excludeRoles
    As (
    Select lr.legalID
    From legalReference lr
    Where lr.legalType = 1
    And lr.RoleID = 20000
    Union All
    Select gr.RoleID
    From legalReference lr
    Inner Join Groups_Roles gr On gr.GroupID = lr.LegalID
    Where lr.legalType = 2
    And (lr.RoleID = 20000 Or lr.GroupID In (Select g.GroupID From Groups_Roles g Where g.RoleID = 20000))
    Union All
    Select lrg.legalID
    From legalReference_Group lrg
    Where lrg.legalType = 1
    And lrg.GroupID In (Select g.GroupID From Groups_Roles g Where g.RoleID = 20000)
    )
    , includeRoles
    As (
    Select rr.RoleID
    From Roles_Ex_Rights rr
    Where rr.IsConfirm = 1
    And rr.RightID In (7295)
    Union All
    Select gr.RoleID
    From Groups_Roles gr
    Inner Join Groups_Rights grr On grr.GroupID = gr.GroupID
    Where gr.IsConfirm = 1
    And gr.RightID = 7295
    )
    Select r.Role_ID As legalRoleID
    , r.UserID As MainUserID
    , u.FirstName As MainFirstName
    , u.LastName As MainLastName
    , r.RoleName
    , r.Code As MainCode
    , u.IsOnline
    , u.PersonnelID
    , r.DepartmentID
    , u.PersonnelID
    From Roles r
    Inner Join Users u On u.[User_ID] = r.UserID
    Where u.IsActive = 1
    And r.IsActive = 1
    And r.DepartmentID = 104
    And r.CardTableStatus = 1
    And Exists (Select * From includeRoles ir Where ir.RoleID = r.Role_ID)
    And Not Exists (Select * From excludeRoles er Where er.RoleID = r.Role_ID)
    Order By
    MainLastName
    , MainFirstName
    , RoleName
    , MainCode;

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

zamani 41951 wrote:

zamani 41951 wrote:

Hi

Thanks a lot.

Hi

It's 51% worse.

Yes, to get the statistics just add the line

SET STATISTICS IO, TIME ON

at the top of the query then run it in SSMS.

Attached file contains IO and TIME statistics result between general and your query.

first results belong to general query.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • I've removed PK of LegalReferrence Table. Logical Read reduced for this table very good.

• zamani 41951 wrote:

I've removed PK of LegalReferrence Table. Logical Read reduced for this table very good.

Why would you remove the PK constraint from a table?  That doesn't make any sense...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Friends, I've reached to a good improvement.

I destroyed fragmentation for table Groups_Roles Table. Result was very good. My goal procedure removed from SQL Serve Profiler with more than 3 seconds duration.

• zamani 41951 wrote:

I've removed PK of LegalReferrence Table. Logical Read reduced for this table very good.

I'm thinking the reason why that worked is simply because that caused a rebuild of related statistics which also caused a recompile.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• zamani 41951 wrote:

Friends, I've reached to a good improvement.

I destroyed fragmentation for table Groups_Roles Table. Result was very good. My goal procedure removed from SQL Serve Profiler with more than 3 seconds duration.

So... prior to doing that, when was the last time you rebuilt statistics?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Hi

Finally Mission Accomplished. Thank you very mush for guide.

The below code made good improvement. (Execution Plan Attached)

some days more than 95% improvement vs old script.

still two problem remain:

1. spill to tempdb. Does change property "Minimum memory per query" helps to eleminate this problem?

2. Cardinality Estimation fauiler some times happen. does TVP or Local Temp Tables Helps to solve this problem?

;WITH LegalRecords (Rid) AS   
    (
    Select [legalReference].[legalID] FROM [legalReference] WHERE [legalReference].[legalType] = 1
    AND [legalReference].[RoleID] = 20534
    UNION ALL
    Select [Groups_Roles].[RoleID] From [legalReference] JOIN [Groups_Roles] ON
    legalReference.legalID = Groups_Roles.GroupID WHERE [legalReference].[legalType]=2 AND
    [legalReference].[RoleID] = 20534
    UNION ALL
    Select [legalReference_Group].[legalID] FROM [legalReference_Group] JOIN Groups_Roles ON
    legalReference_Group.GroupID = Groups_Roles.GroupID WHERE [legalReference_Group].
    [legalType] = 1 AND Groups_Roles.RoleID = 20534
    UNION ALL
    Select [Groups_Roles].[RoleID] From [legalReference_Group] JOIN [Groups_Roles] ON
    [legalReference_Group].[legalID] = Groups_Roles.GroupID JOIN Groups_Roles AS GP2 ON
    legalReference_Group.GroupID = gp2.GroupID WHERE [legalReference_Group].[legalType]=2
    AND gp2.RoleID = 20534 )
    -- END With

Select [Roles].[Role_ID] AS "legalRoleID" , [Roles].[UserID] AS MainUserID , [Users].
    [FirstName] AS MainFirstName, [Users].[LastName] AS MainLastName, [Roles].[RoleName]
    ,[Roles].[Code] AS MainCode, [Users].[IsOnline],[Users].[PersonnelID] , [Roles].
    [DepartmentID],[Users].[PersonnelID] From [Roles] JOIN [Users]
    ON [Roles].UserID = [Users].[User_ID]
    WHERE [Roles].[CardTableStatus] = 1 AND [Users].[IsActive] = 1 AND [Roles].[IsActive] = 1
    AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT Rid FROM LegalRecords WHERE Rid = Roles.Role_ID)

AND EXISTS (SELECT Department_ID FROM Departments WHERE IsReference = 1 AND Roles.DepartmentID =
    Department_ID)

AND EXISTS (Select [Roles_Ex_Rights].[RoleID] FROM [Roles_Ex_Rights] WHERE
    [Roles_Ex_Rights].[RightID] IN (7873) and IsConfirm=1 AND Roles_Ex_Rights.RoleID =
    Roles.Role_ID
    UNION ALL
    Select [Groups_Roles].[RoleID] From [Groups_Roles] JOIN Groups_Rights ON
    Groups_Roles.GroupId = Groups_Rights.GroupID WHERE [Groups_Rights].[RightID] IN
    (7873) AND Groups_Rights.IsConfirm=1 AND Groups_Roles.RoleID = Roles.Role_ID)

ORDER BY MainLastName , MainFirstName , RoleName,MainCode

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply