Specifying [TAB] as SQLCmd Column Separator

• BOL says "The column separator can be any 8-bit character." I have tried the BCP "\t" symbol, as well as entering the character code for CHAR(9) using the [Alt] key and the numeric keypad. I haven't been able to find any resource listing other alternatives. Can anyone provide a definitive answer?

• After re-re-re-reading the entry in BOL, I tried enclosing the character code for [Tab] in double quotes. That finally worked.

• Try creating the format file and Bulk insert using the format fil e

format file goes like this , adjust as per your requirement (number of columns and columnnumber ) and save as .fmt extension

1SQLCHAR010""1col1SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

2SQLCHAR08""0delimiter1SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

3SQLCHAR010""2col2SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

4SQLCHAR08""0delimiter2SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

5SQLCHAR010""3col3SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

6SQLCHAR08""0delimiter3SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

7SQLCHAR010""4col4SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

8SQLCHAR08""0delimiter4SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

9SQLCHAR010"\r"5col5SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Then use the bulk insert

BULK INSERT dbo.tbltest FROM 'FILE LOACATION'

WITH (FORMATFILE = 'format file location .fmt', MAXERRORS = 50000)

go

• This is the output of a T-SQL statement contained within a batch of statements. A BCP format file will not help.

• Hi...

I'm trying to use SQLCMD to dump a few tables out to CSV files.

Several of them have columns that contain commas, so I'm TRYING to use TAB as a column separator.

I'm attempting this via a batch file... but tab isn't working; here's the line:

"C:\The\Path\To\SQLCMD" -S MYSERVER\INST -d TheDb -Q "SET NOCOUNT ON SELECT * FROM TheTable" -s"\t" -o "MyOutfile.CSV"

...Which isn't working... I finally tried entering it into a CMD box, then replacing the \t with the old "alt-number keypad 9" deal, but that doesn't work either.

(also tried it with and without a space between -s and "\t" ... also tried -s "CHAR(9)" ... but no joy; argh!)

Any ideas what I'm not doing right?

(Running against SQL2008r2 Enterprise)

---

Ok... additional observation (added a few hours after initial post)...

I open the csv file with Notepad++ and I see that YES, there IS a tab character separating the columns.

But like I said above, Excel isn't seeing it right... all the columns from the table end up in the first Excel column.

I think I have an idea what the cause is:

Many or all the columns here are CHAR not VARCHAR datatype; I suspect that is confusing Excel and preventing it from showing the data in multiple columns. It's about quittin' time but I will try to chop all spaces out of the CSV and see if that version gets interpreted correctly by Excel.

---

Hrmmm... did that... I think I *just* realized that Excel won't interpret VALUE1(tab)VALUE2 as 2 values to go into 2 separate cells.

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

• Well.. the workaround/fix is a snooze (now that I know it). Rename the CSV file to TXT. Then Excel properly interprets the TAB as a column separator.

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply