specify network protocol (tcp, np) on QA connection

• I know this can be done, but I've misplaced the exact syntax.  Can anyone help me to remember how to specify a particular connection protocol(named pipes or TCP) as part of the server name in the query analyzer connection box?  It went something like this:

SQL Server: <my server> [np]|[tcp]

but obviously this isn't correct or I wouldn't be asking.

• I'm not sure about doing it in the connection dialog in QA, but you can always use SQL's Client Network Utility, found in the SQL program group, to configure an alias for the server.  I've always used this method when I needed to specify the port number when using non-standard ports but you can also specify the network library to use.

• Hi Jane,

If you look in BOL you'll see that ISQLW cannot be called with a parameter stating which protocol to use. In fact the [only] parameter availlables - according to BOL - are:

isqlw

[-?] |

[

[-S server_name[\instance_name]]

[-d database]

[-E] [-U user] [-P password]

[{-i input_file} {-o output_file} [-F {U|A|O}]]

[-f file_list]

[-C configuration_file]

[-D scripts_directory]

[-T template_directory]

]

Regards,

Carl

• I know this can be done.  I've done it before.  You can specify in QA when you enter the server name the protocol to use to connect. 

• Hi Jane,

On the command line when calling isqlw?

If you find it again, please post it because it is not in the documentation.

Regards,

Carl

• OK, called an old friend I thought had a copy of the documentation and here is the answer

instead of entering <servername> on the connection box enter:

tcp:<servername>  -- tcp connection

np:<servername>   -- named pipes connection

lpc:<servername>    -- this is shared memory

• Nice to learn.

Thanks,

Carl

• I'm not sure it works in anything but the gui conenction box in QA.  Never tested anywhere else.  It's a good quick way to make sure your protocols are working when you are having connection issues.

• Good things sometimes come in small packages - as this one goes it's a keeper !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply