Specify Dedicated Network card IP in setting up database mirroring

• Hi,

I'm setting up the Database Mirroring manually in SQL Server 2008 R2. We have two servers SRV1 with IP 10.10.10.20 and SRV2 with IP 10.10.10.21

I want use dedicated IP for Database mirroring traffic and network admin created two more NICs on SRV1 and SRV2 as below:

Now what IP address ( 11.11.11.23 or 11.11.11.24) shoud I give in below script to set up mirrring?

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM SYS.database_mirroring_endpoints)

BEGIN

CREATE ENDPOINT [DATABASEMIRRORING]

STATE= STARTED

AS TCP(LISTENER_PORT=5022,LISTENER_IP=?)

FOR DATABASE_MIRRORING(ROLE =ALL)

END

Please advice..

Thanks

• Could you please advice me on this?

Thanks

• never tried this to be honest. What i can say is, an endpoint needs to be created on each instance for database mirroring to be established

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• never tried this to be honest. What i can say is, an endpoint needs to be created on each instance for database mirroring to be established

My requirement is to have a dedicated Network IP for Database Mirroring set up. But I'm unable to configure it. I do have the separate IP address but how to give that IP in Mirroring set up?

Thanks

• pshaship (7/18/2011)

My requirement is to have a dedicated Network IP for Database Mirroring set up. But I'm unable to configure it. I do have the separate IP address but how to give that IP in Mirroring set up?

Thanks

essentially they will not be bound to any DNS suffix in which case this may help

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde/archive/2009/07/13/step-by-step-guide-to-configure-database-mirroring-between-sql-server-instances-in-a-workgroup.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi

Mirroring I think would be the easy bit, networking now that's a different story.

This is what I would do.

First I'd verify that my IP is bound correctly to both instances, SRV1 and SRV2.

I'll do this with a telnet.

If not then I'll troubleshoot the TCP\IP config and configre my SQL to listen on the new IP and correct port combo.

I'll keep on doing this until I can telnet and connect to SRV2 from a remote box preferably using the NT Login that mirroring would use.

Once this is done and dusted I'll modify that mirror code to my new IP address for SRV2, SRV2 would be the listener.

I would also brush up on my endpoints to make sure that I have a new one created for SRV2 on the alternate IP.

Just a note on this. it's a novel idea to create another NIC but if you now need to do a cluster you will need another NIC. I'd setup mirroring as per normal and monitor the throughput, you have all kinds of fancy things like log compression in 2008 so who knows, it might be overkill.

(Having said that I think it's worth learning how to do it!)

Cheers

Jannie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply