Spatial Indexing

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Spatial Indexing

• The concepts behind the spatial indexes are, by far, one of the most interesting aspects of 2008 SQL queries. I'm not sure it deserves three points, but please keep these spatial index questions coming. As Tony the Tiger says,

They're GREAT!

Jamie

• Questions on rare topics are welcome....

• Jamie Longstreet-481950 (9/26/2008)

The concepts behind the spatial indexes are, by far, one of the most interesting aspects of 2008 SQL queries. I'm not sure it deserves three points, but please keep these spatial index questions coming. As Tony the Tiger says,

They're GREAT!

It's a nice clear question with a nice clear answer, but I'm very sure it's not worth three points! (I didn't mind taking them, though 😀 ). The idea of having both a geography index and a geometry index on the same column is not the right answer since SQL Server 2008 doesn't support geogpaphy indexes on geometry columns or vice versa, the idea of having both spherical and plane data in the same column is frankly bizarre, and the idea of having an extra index to work in terms of a different measurement unit seems quite silly. That leaves only one option - so three points for choosing correctly one option out of one. Obviously it requires some (minimal) knowledge of SQL 2008 to eliminate the other options, so it's worth some points - about one, I would think.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply